The Pentagon today will be bringing back most of the 350,000 civilian employees who were put on furlough last week in the wake of a congressional deadlock over spending bills for this fiscal year, Department of Defense officials announced Saturday. Read More
The football game between the Naval and Air Force academies is back on, according to a Naval Academy release obtained by USNI News. Read More
The Navy has awarded a $6.4 million contract that would, “make immediate safety repairs to the facility, conduct detailed damage assessments, and develop alternative concept designs,” for the Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) headquarters building according to a Sept. 30 award provided to USNI News on Wednesday. Read More
The record crowd that is expected to attend the U.S. Naval Academy – U.S. Air Force Academy football game in Annapolis, Md., Saturday may be in for a huge disappointment.
The Department of Defense announced today that all intercollegiate athletic competitions at the service academies have been suspended due to the federal government shutdown. Read More
The Navy’s four public shipyards will all suffer furloughs that may affect Naval Sea Systems Command’s (NAVSEA) ability to conduct ship maintenance, Navy officials told USNI News on Tuesday.
Thousands of workers at the shipyards have been told to stay at home as the standoff between House Republicans and the Obama administration over a pending continuing resolution measure continues.
As of this date, 16 Navy commanding officers, including five ship captains, have been relieved of their respective commands in 2013.
Is this number particularly significant? Well, while the number of ships in commission has continued to decline, to what is now the lowest number since 1916, the number of ship captains being relieved of their commands is steadily increasing. So, the percentage of ship captains being fired is rising, every year, and that should be a concern. Read More
Rep. Randy Forbes (R-VA) — chairman of the House Armed Services Seapower and Projection Forces subcommittee — sat down with USNI News on Sept. 18 to talk about the challenges of sequestration, how he feels about the Littoral Combat Ship program, China, what the Navy is doing right and—more important—what the Navy is doing wrong. Read More
The Navy has suspended the search for two crewmembers lost following the crash of a MH-60S Knighthawk helicopter on Sunday in the Red Sea, according to a Monday release from U.S. 5th Fleet.
“Navy officials have concluded that given the time elapsed since the incident, aircrew survivability was extremely unlikely,” according to the statement. “The location of the crash site is known, and an extensive area has been searched multiple times by various ships and aircraft.” Read More