WASHINGTON, D.C. — The House Armed Services Committee chairman wants a defense spending increase nearly 70 percent larger than what the White House has called for –$91 billion, compared to President Donald Trump’s $54 billion – above what spending caps allow for Fiscal Year 2018. Read More
This post has been updated to include a statement from Secretary of Defense James Mattis and Philip Bilden.
Financier Philip Bilden has withdrawn himself from consideration to be the next Secretary of the Navy, he said in a Sunday statement. Read More
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Two phone calls then President-elect Donald J. Trump made to the military head of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program officeled to a Pentagon review to compare capabilities of the JSF to an advanced variants of the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, the head of the JSF Joint Program Office told a House panel on Thursday. Read More
A former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine said Russian President Vladimir Putin’s escalation of the conflict in Ukraine is a major global security challenge facing the administration of President Donald Trump. Read More
A member of the Senate Armed Services and Intelligence Committee is calling for a $26 billion addition to this year’s emergency defense spending bill to rebuild readiness — starting with increased flying and training times and increasing the end-strength of the Army and Marine Corps. Read More
The following is the Jan. 30, 2017 Congressional Research Service memo Trump Administration Changes to the National Security Council: Frequently Asked Questions. Read More
The following is a Feb. 1, 2017 memo from Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work that includes a list of Defense Department jobs that are exempt from President Donald Trump’s Jan. 23 federal government hiring freeze. Read More
President Donald Trump signed an executive order calling for the creation of a strategy to defeat the Islamic State, bringing in multiple federal departments and agencies with requirements that closely mirror how the Obama Administration had approached the problem. Read More
CORRECTION: The following piece was mislabeled as an analysis piece rather than opinion.
President Donald Trump signed an executive order last week that bars citizens from Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Syria from entering the United States for 90 days, suspends refugee admission programs for 120 days and indefinitely bans Syrian refugees. Many questions have been raised about this controversial executive action. Since this action is characterized as a national security measure, this analysis will examine two questions: first, will such a policy measurably contribute to U.S. national security interests at home and abroad? And second, why the sudden change in strategy? Read More
The Trump administration’s focus on “America first” throws into question whether it would launch any new large-scale international joint development programs such as the F-35, a former under secretary of defense for policy said Monday. Read More