CAPITOL HILL — The U.S. will continue the recent pace of freedom of navigation operations in the South China Sea and will include allies and partners in future missions, the commander of U.S. Indo-Pacific Command told a Senate panel on Tuesday. Read More
This post has been updated to note that USNI News reached out to the Department of Justice for comment prior to publication of this story. Additionally, an attorney representing Leonard Francis provided comment following publication of an earlier version of this story.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The investigation into the web of corruption spun by contractor Leonard Francis has wreaked havoc on the Navy’s ability to fill senior leadership roles, unintentionally stalled hundreds of officers’ careers and thinned out the service’s flag ranks, USNI News has learned. Read More
USNI News polled its writers, naval analysts and service members on what they consider the most important military and maritime stories in 2018. This story is part of a series; please also see U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Marine Corps Operations.
If 2018 made anything clear, it’s that the U.S. Navy noticed the increased Russian submarine activity in the Atlantic and won’t let it go unaddressed.
U.S. and Philippine military leaders pledged increased cooperation and collaboration in 2019 despite past anti-American rhetoric from the Pacific nation’s president and his stated desire to foster closer ties with China.
The current director of Joint Staff has been tapped to lead the U.S. combatant command in the Middle East, according to a Wednesday Pentagon announcement. Read More
This post has been updated to include the letters of censure for Wren, Conroy and Johnson.
Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer has issued letters of censure to a retired admiral and two other senior officers who the service says accepted gifts and had an inappropriate relationship with Leonard ‘Fat Leonard’ Francis and the Glenn Defense Marine Asia company, USNI News has learned. Read More
Last year’s fatal collisions of guided-missile destroyers USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62) and USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) began a chain of investigations, accountability actions and reform efforts. The following is a summary of the major events that have occurred since the early morning June 17, 2018, incident between Fitzgerald and the merchant ship ACX Crystal. Read More
While in Hawaii celebrating a change of U.S. military leadership in the Pacific, top Pentagon officials stood in the spotlight told other regional powers that U.S. focus on this part of the world hasn’t wavered but sharpened.
This story will be updated as new information becomes available.
The Secretary of the Navy has decided the former head of U.S. surface forces will retire as a two-star rear admiral not a three-star vice admiral, according to two sources familiar with the decision. Read More
This post has been updated with a statement from Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson and a Pentagon statement on a potential Joint NATO command in Norfolk.
Faced with a more active Russian fleet and increasing military competition across the world, the Navy has elected to reestablish U.S. 2nd Fleet to manage assets closer to the homeland, according to a memo announcing the command obtained by USNI News. Read More