The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) arrives pier side at Changi Naval Base, Republic of Singapore following a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway east of the Strait of Malacca. US Navy Photo
This post will be updated throughout the day with additional information from the investigations.
The fatal collisions of the two guided-missile destroyers USS John S. McCain and USS Fitzgerald between merchant ships that killed 17 sailors were rooted in fundamental failures in the crew’s ability to operate their ships effectively, according to a summary of two investigations the Navy released to the public on Wednesday. Read More →
Navy Secretary Richard V. Spencer testifying before the Senate Armed Service Committee on Sept. 19. US Navy Photo
CAPITOL HILL – Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer’s strategic study in the wake of two deadly collisions at sea this year intends to question everything the Navy does – how missions are tasked to ships, whether the service still needs its five numbered fleets, the relationship between the East Coast and West Coast fleets, and more – the secretary told USNI News today after testifying to the Senate Armed Services Committee. Read More →
USS Benfold (DDG-65), left, and the Henry J. Kaiser-class fleet replenishment oiler USNS Pecos (T-AO 197) participate in a photo exercise during Pacific Griffin 2017 off the coast of Guam. US Navy Photo
This post has been updated to include additional information from the Senate Armed Services Committee hearing.
CAPITOL HILL – The Navy is creating a new Naval Surface Group Western Pacific to train and certify forward-deployed surface ships operating out of Japan and has begun additional readiness assessments and certifications, after four surface ship collisions and groundings in the region that killed 17 sailors this year. Read More →
CTF 70 commander Rear Adm. Charles Williams, DESRON 15 commander Capt. Jeffrey Bennett. USNI News image
This post has been updated to include replacements for CTF-70 and DESRON 15.
The commander of the Navy’s largest operational battle force and his subordinate in charge of the attached destroyer squadron have been removed from their positions as a result of ongoing investigations into a string of incidents this year that resulted in the death of 17 sailors and hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, USNI News has learned. Read More →
Damage to the portside is visible as the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) steers towards Changi Naval Base, Republic of Singapore on Aug. 21, 2017. US Navy Photo
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Probing potential cyber tampering and cyber intrusion will now be a standard part of U.S. Navy accident investigation following the Aug. 21 collision of guided missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) with a chemical tanker, Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Bill Moran told Congress last week. Read More →
VCNO Adm. Bill Moran testifying before the HASC on Sept. 7, 2017. CSPAN Image
CAPITOL HILL – The Navy’s second in command told Congress that he had always assumed the service’s forces in Japan were among the services best due to their constant operational tempo. That changed after a quartet of surface ships suffered a chain of incidents that resulted in the death of 17 sailors and hundreds of millions of dollars in damages. Read More →
Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) Richard V. Spencer delivers remarks during the christening ceremony for the littoral combat ship USS Charleston (LCS-18) on Aug. 26, 2017. US Navy Photo
ARLINGTON, Va. — Five companies in the maritime and defense business have been asked to assist with the Secretary of the Navy-directed investigation into underlying causes of the spate of collisions that have cost the lives of 17 sailors and hundreds and millions of dollars in damage. Read More →
Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer delivers remarks at a dinner hosted by The National Association of Destroyer Veterans on Aug. 23, 2017. US Navy Photo
Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer has launched a civilian-led review to run parallel to the military investigation into the underlying reasons behind a string of surface navy incidents that have resulted in the deaths of 17 sailors and hundreds of millions in damages, according to a Sept. 1 memo launching the effort obtained by USNI News. Read More →
Guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) at it steers towards Changi Naval Base, Republic of Singapore following a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC on Aug 21, 2017. US Navy Photo
The deputy head of Naval Personnel has been quietly tapped to lead an investigation into the collision between guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) and a chemical tanker near Singapore, Navy officials told USNI News on Thursday. Read More →
USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) moored pier side at Changi Naval Base, Republic of Singapore following a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore on Aug. 21. US Navy Photo
The investigation into four surface warship incidents that have resulted in hundreds of millions in damage, the confirmed death of eight sailors and nine more sailors missing has formally begun. Read More →