Tag Archives: US 3rd Fleet

NCIS, ATF Investigating Sailor in USS Bonhomme Richard Fire Criminal Probe

NCIS, ATF Investigating Sailor in USS Bonhomme Richard Fire Criminal Probe

An MH-60S Seahawk helicopter from the “Merlins” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 3, provides aerial firefighting support alongside sailors and civilian fire crews on the ground to fight the fire aboard amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) on July 13, 2020. US Navy Photo


This post has been updated with additional details.

Federal agents are questioning a sailor in connection to the July fire aboard USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) as part of the ongoing criminal investigation into the blaze, three defense officials told USNI News on Wednesday night. Read More

3rd Fleet to Lead USS Bonhomme Richard Fire Command Investigation

3rd Fleet to Lead USS Bonhomme Richard Fire Command Investigation

Contractors with Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) work to remove the aft mast aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) on Aug. 4, 2020. US Navy Photo

U.S. Pacific Fleet commander Adm. John Aquilino has appointed the head of San Diego, Calif.-based 3rd Fleet to lead the official command investigation into the July 12 fire aboard USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6). Read More

ATF Team Assisting in USS Bonhomme Richard Fire Investigation; Rear Adm. Byrne to Lead Safety Investigation Board

ATF Team Assisting in USS Bonhomme Richard Fire Investigation; Rear Adm. Byrne to Lead Safety Investigation Board

An MH-60S Knight Hawk helicopter from the Merlins of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 3 provides aerial firefighting support to fight the fire aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) on July 14, 2020. US Navy Photo

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Federal investigators with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are assisting in the criminal investigation into the fire that severely damaged USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6), a Navy official told USNI News. Read More

CNO Gilday Promises 'Thorough' Investigation After Seeing Fire Damaged USS Bonhomme Richard

CNO Gilday Promises ‘Thorough’ Investigation After Seeing Fire Damaged USS Bonhomme Richard

Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday tours USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) on July 17, 2020.
(From left to right) Rear Admiral Philip Sobeck, the commander of Expeditionary Strike Group 3, Gilday, Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Research, Development and Acquisition James Geurts, NAVSEA commander Vice Adm. Bill Galinis, Bonhomme Richard commander Capt. Gregory Scott Thoroman, Federal Fire Chief Mary Anderson. US Navy Photo

NAVAL BASE SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The Navy’s top officer met with firefighters Friday morning and inspected the damaged decks and spaces inside USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6), six days after a devastating fire spread through the warship. Read More

Fire Chief Details Battling USS Bonhomme Richard Blaze as Investigations Begin

Fire Chief Details Battling USS Bonhomme Richard Blaze as Investigations Begin

Federal firefighters assess damage in the hangar bay aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) on July 15, 2020. US Navy Photo

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – On midday Thursday, Navy officials declared all known fires aboard USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) had been extinguished after more than four days of battling the blaze that was sparked on Sunday. Read More

USS Bonhomme Richard Fire Extinguished; CO Thanks Crew for 'Strength and Resilience'

USS Bonhomme Richard Fire Extinguished; CO Thanks Crew for ‘Strength and Resilience’

A group of sailors departs the pier after supporting firefighting efforts aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6), July 15, 2020. US Navy Photo

This post has been updated with more information from the Navy.

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Navy officials declared all active fires aboard USS Bonhomme Richard out after more than four days of battling the blaze. Read More

On Day 4, Fire Crews on USS Bonhomme Richard Battle Hot Spots and Flare Ups

On Day 4, Fire Crews on USS Bonhomme Richard Battle Hot Spots and Flare Ups

An image of fire damage to the forward mast of the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) on July 14, 2020. US Navy Photo

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – More than 300 sailors and firefighters continued to battle hot spots as part of the ongoing efforts to extinguish fires and flareups inside the skin of amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6), as efforts enter the fourth day, Navy officials said. Read More