Tag Archives: Secretary of Defense Mark Esper

CNO, Commandant Asking for Fleet Wholeness Amid Pause in Future Force Structure Planning

CNO, Commandant Asking for Fleet Wholeness Amid Pause in Future Force Structure Planning

USS America (LHA-6) sails in the Gulf of Thailand in support of Exercise Cobra Gold 2020 on March 1, 2020. US Navy Photo

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The Navy and Marine Corps are caught in a battle with Pentagon leadership over the right force size to aim for and how quickly to try to get there, but the top officers in the sea services insist that everyone is on the same page about maintaining wholeness and readiness as the service grows. Read More

CNO Gilday Defends 36-Month Carrier Cycle, Says Navy Has Never Missed a Deployment

CNO Gilday Defends 36-Month Carrier Cycle, Says Navy Has Never Missed a Deployment

Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. Mike Gilday meets with Sailors during his visit to Naval Expeditionary Intelligence Command. US Navy Photo

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The chief of naval operations defended the Navy’s force-generation model, saying that it could be tweaked to change the balance of deployed forces versus those ready to surge if needed – but the 36-month maintenance, training and deployment cycle fundamentally works. Read More

SECNAV Modly Says Nation Needs Larger, Distributed Fleet of 390 Hulls

SECNAV Modly Says Nation Needs Larger, Distributed Fleet of 390 Hulls

The Honorable Thomas Modly, acting Secretary of the Navy, takes a selfie with USS Gerald R. Ford’s (CVN 78) newly selected petty officers during an all-hands call in the hangar bay. Navy photo.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – A pending force structure analysis calls for bigger and more spread out Navy than previously thought, Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly on said Friday. Read More

SECDEF Esper Blames Failures of Optimized Fleet Response Plan for Delay of New 355-Ship Fleet Outlook

SECDEF Esper Blames Failures of Optimized Fleet Response Plan for Delay of New 355-Ship Fleet Outlook

The island of the aircraft carrier USS John F. Kennedy (CVN 79) is landed onto the flight deck during a mast-stepping ceremony at Huntington Ingalls Industries Newport News Shipbuilding in Newport News, Va., May 29, 2019. Navy photo courtesy HHI by Matt Hildreth/Released

Ongoing problems with the Navy’s Optimized Fleet Response Plan delayed the release of the service’s new force structure assessment and long-term shipbuilding plan, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper told the House Armed Services Committee on Wednesday. Read More

SECDEF Esper Faced Bipartisan Criticism Over 'Anemic' Shipbuilding Plan

SECDEF Esper Faced Bipartisan Criticism Over ‘Anemic’ Shipbuilding Plan

Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper is briefed on USS Gerald R. Ford’s (CVN 78) advanced weapons elevators (AWE) by Capt. John J. Cummings, Ford’s commanding officer. Navy photo

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper faced sustained bipartisan criticism from the House Armed Services Committee over the Pentagon’s proposed shipbuilding plan during a Wednesday hearing on the Fiscal Year 2021 Pentagon budget.

Read More

Report to Congress on Navy Force Structure

Report to Congress on Navy Force Structure

The following is the Feb. 21, 2020 Congressional Research Service report, Navy Force Structure and Shipbuilding Plans: Background and Issues for Congress: Background and Issues for Congress. Read More

U.S. Warns China Will Gain Edge if the Philippines Ends Visiting Forces Agreement

U.S. Warns China Will Gain Edge if the Philippines Ends Visiting Forces Agreement

U.S. Army 1st Lt. Alex Donahue discusses the importance of proper knots and rigging with Philippine soldiers during a subject matter expert exchange in support of Balikitan 2017 at Fort Ramon Magsaysay, Philippines on May 4, 2017. US Army Photo

KUALA LUMPUR — The Philippines government has now formally begun the process of terminating the Visiting Forces Agreement with the United States, Philippines Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin confirmed on Twitter: the U.S. Embassy in Manila has received notice, and the termination will take effect 180 days later. Read More

UPDATED: Navy's New Shipbuilding Plan ‘Dead on Arrival,’ Lawmakers Say

UPDATED: Navy’s New Shipbuilding Plan ‘Dead on Arrival,’ Lawmakers Say

Tripoli (LHA-7) is launched at Huntington Ingalls Industries’ (HII) shipyard in Pascagoula, Miss. on March 1, 2017. US Navy Photo

This post has been updated to include information from a Feb. 10 budget briefing with Rear Adm. Randy Crites, the deputy assistant secretary of the Navy for budget.

The proposed Navy shipbuilding plan that cuts a Virginia-class submarine, a frigate and an oiler that were previously planned for FY 2021 received immediate bipartisan pushback from the House and the Senate. Read More