Tag Archives: Commandant of the Marine Corps

2nd Expeditionary Sea Base USNS Hershel ‘Woody’ Williams Delivers to Navy

2nd Expeditionary Sea Base USNS Hershel ‘Woody’ Williams Delivers to Navy

The Military Sealift Command expeditionary mobile base USNS Lewis B. Puller (T-ESB 3) departs Naval Station Norfolk to begin its first operational deployment on July 10, 2017. US Navy photo.

The Navy’s second afloat base for special operations and mine countermeasure forces has delivered to the service, according to a Thursday statement from Naval Sea Systems Command. Read More

ESB USNS Hershel 'Woody' Williams Likely to Deploy to Mediterranean

ESB USNS Hershel ‘Woody’ Williams Likely to Deploy to Mediterranean

An MH-60R Sea Hawk helicopter assigned to the “Easyriders” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 37 delivers cargo to the expeditionary mobile base USS Lewis B. Puller (T-ESB 3) during a vertical replenishment. Puller is deployed with the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group to the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations in support of maritime security operations to reassure allies and partners and preserve the freedom of navigation and the free flow of commerce in the region. US Navy photo

CAPITOL HILL – The Marine Corps intends for the next Expeditionary Sea Base ship, the future USNS Hershel “Woody” Williams (T-ESB-4), to operate in the Mediterranean Sea on its maiden deployment, Marine commandant said today. Read More

Wittman: Armed Services Committee Won't Accept Proposed Navy Shipbuilding Plan; More Hulls Needed

Wittman: Armed Services Committee Won’t Accept Proposed Navy Shipbuilding Plan; More Hulls Needed

Aviation Boatswain’s Mate (Handling) Airman Austin Kreilis, assigned to the air department aboard the amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA 6), signals an MV-22 Osprey to lift off from the flight deck. US Navy photo.

CAPITOL HILL – The House Armed Services Committee will not accept a Navy shipbuilding plan of anything lower than 13 ships and $26 billion in Fiscal Year 2019, a subcommittee chairman said, suggesting HASC may add several ships beyond what the Navy requested earlier this week. Read More

Neller: Future Marine Corps Could be an ‘Older, More Experienced’ Force

Neller: Future Marine Corps Could be an ‘Older, More Experienced’ Force

U.S. Marines with Headquarters and Service Company, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, march on the pier towards the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) in Okinawa, Japan, Feb. 1, 2018. USMC Photo

SAN DIEGO, Calif. — The Marine Corps has a long, storied history as a formidable – and young – fighting organization. But will the future force that must lean on highly-skilled, technical warfighters expert in areas like cyberspace, electronic warfare and information warfare require an older, more seasoned force?

The answer, according to the top Marine, might be yes. Read More

Neller: Marine Corps Needs Budget Stability for Efficient Multiyear Deals, Recruiting

Neller: Marine Corps Needs Budget Stability for Efficient Multiyear Deals, Recruiting

Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. Robert B. Neller speaks to Marines with School of Infantry West, at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif., April 26, 2017. US Marine Corps Photo

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Ongoing continuing resolutions and budget uncertainty are hampering the Marine Corps’ ability to buy new equipment efficiently and bring in new recruits to increase the size of the force, the commandant said today. Read More

Neller: Marines Must Prepare to 'Fight to Get to the Fight' In High-End Littoral Warfare

Neller: Marines Must Prepare to ‘Fight to Get to the Fight’ In High-End Littoral Warfare

U.S. Marines and Sailors with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) exit a U.S. Navy landing craft utility (LCU) during Amphibious Squadron (PHIBRON)-MEU Unit Integration Training (PMINT) at Onslow Beach, N.C., July 16, 2017. US Marine Corps photo.

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO — The Marine Corps is continuing to develop and practice its Marine Corps Operating Concept and the Littoral Operations in a Contested Environment (LOCE) offshoot, but Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. Robert Neller told USNI News the most of the work needed to support transitioning to those new concepts is already underway. Read More

Marine Corps Orders 24-Hour Operational Pause for All Aviation Units Within Next 2 Weeks

Marine Corps Orders 24-Hour Operational Pause for All Aviation Units Within Next 2 Weeks

U.S. Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Jesse Schmitt, a powerline mechanic with Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 232, gives directions to an F/A-18C Hornet at Japan Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF) Hyakuri Air Base, Japan, July 18, 2017. US Marine Corps photo.

The Marine Corps ordered all its aviation units to hold a 24-hour stand-down at some point in the next two weeks to take a break from operations and focus on flight safety and fundamentals, according to a service news release. Read More

31st MEU Flight Operations Resume After 48-Hour Pause Following Aug. 5 Fatal Crash

31st MEU Flight Operations Resume After 48-Hour Pause Following Aug. 5 Fatal Crash

The Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. Robert Neller, addresses Marines and Sailors of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) and Bonhomme Richard Expeditionary Strike Group (BHR ESG) during an all-hands call on the flight deck of Bonhomme Richard. Neller visited Bonhomme Richard after an MV-22B Osprey, assigned to Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron (VMM) 265 (Reinforced), experienced a mishap on Aug. 5. US Navy photo.

The 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit launched a full investigation into Saturday’s fatal MV-22 crash off the coast of Australia and conducted a 48-hour operational pause to review safety and procedures, the Marine Corps announced. Read More

Edward Lin Will Serve 6 Years for Mishandling Classified Information, Not Reporting Foreign Contacts

Edward Lin Will Serve 6 Years for Mishandling Classified Information, Not Reporting Foreign Contacts

Lt. Cmdr. Edward Lin

A previous version of the post erroneously deleted a quote from former military lawyer Rob “Butch” Bracknell. The quote has been restored, USNI News apologizes for the error.

NAVAL STATION NORFOLK, Va. — A Navy officer who pleaded guilty to mishandling classified information and not reporting foreign contacts will serve 6 years of confinement and will be dismissed from the Navy, a military judge ruled in a Friday sentencing hearing. Read More