USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62) is loading onto the heavy lift transport vessel MV Transshelf. US Navy Photo
This post has been corrected to reflect early accountability actions taken on USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) after the collision on Aug. 21 with a merchant tanker. The commander and executive officer were removed from their positions, not the Command Master Chief. The post has also been amended to clarify the definition of negligent homicide under military law.
Criminal charges against crew members involved in the two fatal 2017 surface navy collisions that cost the lives of 17 sailors are likely the last accountability actions to be taken by the service, as the admiral overseeing the process has completed his review, Navy officials told USNI News on Wednesday. Read More
Former USS Fitzgerald commander Cmdr. Bryce Benson (left), Former USS John S. McCain commander Cmdr. Alfredo J. Sanchez (right). USNI News Image
This post has been updated to correct the name of the former commander of USS John S. McCain (DDG-56). The correct name is Cmdr. Alfredo J. Sanchez. This post has also been updated with a statement from the service.
The commanders of the two guided-missile destroyers that were involved in fatal collisions with merchant ships in 2017 will face military criminal charges that include dereliction of duty, hazarding a vessel and negligent homicide, USNI News has learned. Read More
Outoging commander of Naval Surface Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet Vice Adm. Tom Rowden speaks with the crew of the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Higgins (DDG-76) on Sept. 17, 2017. US Navy Photo
The head of U.S. naval surface forces will be replaced this week following the results of an independent investigation into the two fatal collisions in the Western Pacific that claimed the lives of 17 sailors, several defense officials confirmed to USNI News this week. Read More
USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) sits in Dry Dock 5 onboard Fleet Activities (FLEACT) Yokosuka for an Extended Drydock Selected Restricted Availability in June 2016. FLEACT Yokosuka provides, maintains, and operates base facilities and services in support of 7th Fleet’s forward-deployed naval forces, 83 tenant commands, and 24,000 military and civilian personnel. US Navy photo.
ARLINGTON, Va . – An increasingly large workload for the maintainers of the Forward Deployed Naval Force ships in Japan has led to longer availabilities and less time for training, the head of U.S. Fleet Forces Command said, with the Navy still unsure how to go about reducing that burden. Read More
Adm. Philip S. Davidson, commander of U.S. Fleet Forces Command, presents a surface warfare officer pin to Midshipman 1st Class Jacob Wirz, recognizing his achievement as the first midshipman to select a ship during the U.S. Naval Academy’s Ship Selection Night in Alumni Hall. During ship selection, first class midshipmen assigned to the surface warfare community choose their first ship and homeport. US Navy photo.
ARLINGTON, Va. – The Navy is taking a serious look at its Surface Warfare Officer candidate training, with the hopes of creating more proficient officers before assigning them to ship crews, the commander of U.S. Fleet Forces Command said today. Read More
USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62) stands by before it is loaded onto the heavy lift transport vessel MV Transshelf. Transshelf will transport Fitzgerald to Pascagoula, Mississippi to complete repairs. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class William McCann/Released)
ARLINGTON, Va. – Two lawmakers today said the Navy needed to make “groundbreaking” changes in how it operates to avoid the readiness problems that contributed to last year’s fatal surface collisions that killed 17 sailors.
Petty Officer 3rd Class Ross Massey, from Dunlap, Ill., stands an intelligence watch during a transit of the Strait of Hormuz aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis. US Navy Photo
THE PENTAGON – The Navy historically doesn’t learn from its mistakes, needs better command and control structures to operate the fleet, and needs to be more honest with Congress and the White House about the capabilities it can provide the nation, were key findings contained in a strategic review of the service released on Thursday. Read More
Side boys salute Capt. John Steinberger, the off-going commander of Destroyer Squadron One, following the unit’s change of command ceremony on Naval Base San Diego in California Oct. 12, 2012. US Navy Photo
NAVAL STATION NORFOLK, Va. — The former commander of a West Coast destroyer squadron was arraigned on charges related to the sprawling ‘Fat Leonard’ investigation in a military courtroom on Tuesday. Read More
Capt. Thom W. Burke, left, and Capt. Kenneth J. Norton cut into a cake modeled after the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) during a reception following their change of command ceremony in the ship’s hangar bay. US Navy photo.
THE PENTAGON - Now-retired Rear Adm. Kenneth Norton received a letter of censure from Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer Wednesday following a review of his interactions with Glenn Defense Marine Asia – the so-called “Fat Leonard” investigation.
USS Benfold (DDG-65) and Republic of Singapore Navy’s (RSN) RSS Endurance (LST 207), participate in a PHOTOEX during Exercise Pacific Griffin 2017. US Navy Photo
The guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG-65) was hit by a Japanese tug during a towing exercise on Saturday, according to a statement from U.S. 7th Fleet. Read More