These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of July 8, 2021, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
In the Philippine Sea
The Japan-based America Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) is underway in the Western Pacific. The ARG, made up of USS America (LHA-6), USS New Orleans (LPD-18) and USS Germantown (LSD-42), is underway in the Philippine Sea with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit embarked.
The 31st MEU is currently comprised of Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron (VMM) 265 (Reinforced) as the Amphibious Combat Element, Battalion Landing Team, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines as the Ground Combat Element and Combat Logistics Battalion 31 as the Logistics Combat Element.
In the North Arabian Sea
The Navy’s Japan-based carrier strike group is operating in the North Arabian Sea to support the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan. USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76), guided-missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) and guided-missile destroyer USS Halsey (DDG-97) arrived in U.S. 5th Fleet on June 25.
“While in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations, the Ronald Reagan CSG will operate and train alongside regional and coalition partners and provide airpower to protect U.S. and coalition forces as they conduct drawdown operations from Afghanistan,” reads the Navy statement.
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76), homeported in Yokosuka, Japan.
Carrier Air Wing 5
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5, based at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, is embarked aboard Ronald Reagan and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Royal Maces” of VFA-27 – Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Diamondbacks” of VFA-102 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Eagles” of VFA-115 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Dambusters” of VFA-195 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Shadowhawks” of VAQ-141 – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Tigertails” of VAW-125 – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Providers” of VRC-30 – Detachment 5 – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Golden Falcons” of HSC-5 – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Facility Atsugi, Japan
- The “Saberhawks” of HSM-77 – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
USS Shiloh (CG-54), homeported in Yokosuka.
Destroyer Squadron 15
Destroyer Squadron 15 is based in Yokosuka, Japan, and is embarked on the carrier. U.S. 7th Fleet has not fully specified the escorts accompanying Reagan on its patrol, but the CSG includes:
- USS Halsey (DDG-97), homeported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
In the Gulf of Aden
The Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group and the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) are in the Gulf of Aden. The ARG made a Suez transit and entered 5th Fleet on June 1. Since then, the ARG has been conducting amphibious exercises in the Red Sea until the ARG left on July 4.
Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7), Harpers Ferry-class dock landing ship USS Carter Hall (LSD-50) and amphibious transport dock USS San Antonio (LPD-17) make up the ARG. Embarked detachments for the Iwo Jima ARG include Amphibious Squadron Four, Fleet Surgical Team (FST) Six, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 26, Tactical Air Control Squadron (TACRON) 21, Naval Beach Group (NBG) Two, Beach Master Unit (BMU) Two, Assault Craft Unit (ACU) Two and Four, and Sailors from Amphibious Construction Battalion (ACB) Two.
The 24th MEU, which is headquartered at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C., consists of a Ground Combat Element, Battalion Landing Team (BLT) 1/8, a Logistics Combat Element, Combat Logistics Battalion (CLB) 24, and an Aviation Combat Element, Medium Tilt-Rotor Squadron (VMM) 162 Reinforced. The 24th MEU also includes a Light Armored Reconnaissance detachment.
In the Eastern Atlantic
The USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) Carrier Strike Group is in the Eastern Atlantic and headed home to its Norfolk, Va., homeport following its second deployment within a year.
Carrier Strike Group 2
Norfolk-based CSG 2 commands the Dwight D. Eisenhower CSG and is embarked on the carrier.
USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
Carrier Air Wing 3
Carrier Air Wing 3, based at Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., is embarked aboard Dwight D. Eisenhower and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Fighting Swordsmen” of VFA-32 – Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) – from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Gunslingers” of VFA-105 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Wildcats” of VFA-131 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Rampagers” of VFA-83 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Zappers” of VAQ-130 – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Screwtops” of VAW-123 – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of VRC-40 – Detachment – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) – from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Dusty Dogs” of HSC-7 – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Swamp Foxes” of HSM-74 – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Fla.
- USS Monterey (CG-61), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Vella Gulf (CG-72), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
Destroyer Squadron 22
Destroyer Squadron 22 is based at Norfolk and its leaders are embarked on Eisenhower.
- USS Thomas Hudner (DDG-116), homeported in Mayport, Fla.
- USS Laboon (DDG-58), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Mitscher (DDG-57), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Mahan (DDG-72), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
In the Eastern Pacific
USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70), USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) and USS Tripoli (LHA-7) are underway in the Southern California Operating Areas.
Vinson is preparing to deploy later this summer with the first carrier air wing to deploy with the F-35C Lighting II Joint Strike Fighters and the Navy’s CMV-22B Osprey.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.