These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of Aug 24, 2020, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
In the Philippine Sea
Amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA-6) is underway.
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) pulled into U.S. Naval Base Guam for a port visit on Aug. 22, the Navy announced.
The visit is part of the Navy’s Safe Haven liberty port program designed to provide crews at sea limited port visits during deployments while preventing the spread of COVID-19.
“U.S. 7th Fleet flagship USS Blue Ridge (LCC-19) along with USS Bunker Hill (CG-52) pulled into Guam for safe haven liberty port visits in early June. The Nimitz Carrier Strike group, consisting of aircraft carrier USS Nimitz (CVN-68), guided-missile cruiser USS Princeton (CG-59), and guided-missile destroyers USS Sterett (DDG 104) and USS Ralph Johnson (DDG 114), pulled into Guam for a safe haven liberty port visit on June 24. Most recently, the guided-missile destroyer USS Rafael Peralta (DDG-115) pulled into Guam at the end of July,” according to the Navy.
“During Ronald Reagan’s liberty, Sailors have access to specific designated areas on the pier and a secured beach on base.”
Carrier Strike Group 5
Yokosuka-based Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 5 commands the Reagan CSG and is embarked on the carrier.
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76), homeported in Yokosuka, Japan.
Carrier Air Wing 5
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5, based at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, is embarked aboard Ronald Reagan and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Royal Maces” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 27 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Diamondbacks” of VFA-102 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Eagles” of VFA-115 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Dambusters” of VFA-195 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Shadowhawks” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 141 Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Tigertails” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 125 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Providers” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 30 Det 5 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Golden Falcons” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 5 from Naval Station Atsugi, Japan
- The “Saberhawks” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 77 from Naval Air Station Atsugi
USS Antietam (CG-54), homeported in Yokosuka.
Destroyer Squadron 15
Destroyer Squadron 15 is based in Yokosuka, Japan, and is embarked on the carrier. U.S. 7th Fleet has not fully specified the escorts accompanying Reagan on its patrol, but the CSG includes:
- USS Mustin (DDG-89), homeported in Yokosuka.
- USS Rafael Peralta (DDG-115), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
In the North Arabian Sea
The Nimitz CSG is in the North Arabian Sea. USS Nimitz (CVN-68) deployed on June 8 as the centerpiece of the Nimitz Carrier Strike Group.
Carrier Strike Group 11
San Diego-based CSG 11 commands the Nimitz CSG and is embarked on the carrier.
USS Nimitz (CVN-68), homeported in Bremerton, Wash.
Carrier Air Wing 17
Carrier Air Wing 17, based at Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif., is embarked on Nimitz and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Redcocks” of VFA 22 – Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) F/A-18F Super Hornet – from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Kestrels” of VFA137 F/A-18 E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Mighty Shrike” of VFA 94 F/A-18F – from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Death Rattlers” of VMFA-323 F/A-18C – from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar San Diego, Calif.
- The “Cougars” of VAQ-139 – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) EA-18G Growlers – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island – Wash.
- The “Sun Kings” of VAW-116 –Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) E2C Hawkeye – from Naval Air Station Point Mugu, Calif.
- The “Providers” of VRC-30 – Detachment – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) C-2 – from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Screamin’ Indians” of HSC-6 – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) MH-60S– from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Battlecats” of HSM-73 – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) MH-60R – from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
USS Princeton (CG-59), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 9
Destroyer Squadron 9 is based at Naval Station Everett, Wash. The DESRON commodore and staff are embarked on Nimitz.
- USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53), homeported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
- USS Sterett (DDG-104), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
- USS Ralph Johnson (DDG-114) homeported in Everett, Wash.
In the Middle Pacific
USS Essex (LHD-2) is underway for RIMPAC 2020.
Participating ships this year are:
- HMAS Hobart (DDG 39)
- HMAS Arunta (FFH 151)
- HMAS Stuart (FFH 153)
- HMAS Sirius (O 266)
- KDB Darulehsan (OPV 07)
- HMCS Regina (FFH 334)
- HMCS Winnipeg (FFH 338)
- FS Bougainville (A622)
- JS Ashigara (DDG 178)
- JS Ise (DDH 182)
- HMNZS Manawanui (A09)
Republic of Korea
- ROKS Seoae Ryu Seong-Ryong (DDG 993)
- ROKS Chungmugong Yi Sun-Sin (DDH 975)
Republic of the Philippines
- BRP Jose Rizal (FF 150)
- RSS Supreme (FFG 73)
- USS Essex (LHD-2)
- USS Lake Erie (CG-70)
- USS Chung Hoon (DDG-93)
- USS Dewey (DDG-105)
- USCGC Munro (WMSL-755)
- UNSN Henry J. Kaiser (T-AO-187)
- USNS Sioux (T-ATF-171)
- USS Jefferson City (SSN-759)
In the Eastern Pacific
USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) is underway in the Eastern Pacific. Carl Vinson recently completed 18 months of maintenance at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and is en route its new homeport of San Diego, Cailf.
In the Western Atlantic
USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7) is nearing its homeport of Mayport, Fla., after leaving U.S. Naval Weapons Station Earle in Colts Neck, N.J. Earle features a pier that is more than two miles long that allows ships to load and unload ammunition far from populated areas.
In the South Atlantic
Recently placed in commission, amphibious warship USS Tripoli (LHA-7) is underway in U.S. 4th Fleet. Tripoli is sailing around South America to its homeport of San Diego, Calif.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.