These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of Dec. 23, 2019, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) is in port in Yokosuka. USS America (LHA-6) is in port in Sasebo.
In the South China Sea
The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group has transited the Singapore Strait and is headed into the South China Sea. USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) is headed east and will ultimately arrive in its new homeport of San Diego, Calif.
Carrier Strike Group 12
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72), homeport will shift to San Diego, Calif., upon completion of deployment
Carrier Air Wing 7
CVW 7, based at Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., is embarked aboard Lincoln and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Fist of the Fleet” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 25 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Sidewinders” of VFA-86 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Jolly Rogers” of VFA-103 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Pukin’ Dogs” of VFA-143 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Patriots” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 140 from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Bluetails” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 121 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 40 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Night Dippers” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 5 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Griffins” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 79 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
Japan-based guided-missile cruiser USS Chancellorsville (CG-62) has been operating with carrier Lincoln.
In the North Arabian Sea
The Harry S. Truman CSG is in the North Arabian Sea and within the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility. The CSG has taken the Abraham Lincoln CSG’s place in 5th Fleet. This deployment is the Truman Strike Group‘s second in two years.
Carrier Strike Group 8
USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
Carrier Air Wing 1
Carrier Air Wing 1 is based at Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., and embarked on Harry S. Truman:
- The “Red Rippers” of VFA-11 – Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) – from Naval Air Station Oceana – Va.
- The “Checkmates” of VFA-211 from Naval Air Station Oceana – Va.
- The “Sunliners” of VFA-81 from Naval Air Station Oceana – Va.
- The “Knighthawks” of VFA-136 from Naval Air Station Lemoore – Calif.
- The “Rooks” of VAQ-137 – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island – Wash.
- The “Seahawks” of VAW-126 – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk – Va.
- The “Rawhides” of VRC-40 – Detachment – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk – Va.
- The “Dragon Slayers” of HSC-11 – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk – Va.
- The “Proud Warriors” of HSM-72 – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station Jacksonville – Fla.
Destroyer Squadron 28
USS Lassen (DDG-82), USS Farragut (DDG-99) and USS Forrest Sherman (DDG-98) were supporting the Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group; however, they are now expected to serve as part of the Harry S. Truman CSG. Lincoln is now operating with cruiser USS Normandy (CG-60).
In the Western Atlantic
The Bataan Amphibious Ready Group with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit embarked has deployed. The ARG is commanded by Amphibious Squadron (PHIBRON) 8 and is made up of amphibious assault ship USS Bataan (LHD-5), amphibious transport dock USS New York (LPD-21) and dock landing ship USS Oak Hill (LSD-51).
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.