These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of July 8, 2019, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
In Brisbane, Australia
The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group (CSG) pulled into Brisbane on July 5, 2019. Exercise Talisman Sabre 2019 (TS 19), a bilateral U.S./Australian training exercise, will occur in the Coral Sea from July 11 to 24. TS19 will also include forces from New Zealand, Canada, United Kingdom and Japan.
Carrier Air Wing 5
CVW 5, based at Naval Air Facility Atsugi and Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni in Japan, is embarked aboard Ronald Reagan and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Royal Maces” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 27 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Diamondbacks” of VFA-102 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Eagles” of VFA-115 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Dambusters” of VFA-195 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Shadowhawks” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 141 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Tiger Tails” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 125 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Providers” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 30 from Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
- The “Golden Falcons” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 12 Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
- The “Saberhawks” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 77 from Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
The Navy hasn’t announced the full escort for the strike group but it includes, USS Chancellorsville (CG-62), USS McCampbell (DDG-85).
In the Coral Sea
The Wasp Expeditionary Strike Group and elements of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) are underway and operating in the Coral Sea. The ESG is also set to participate Exercise Talisman Sabre 2019 this month.
Precursor events for TS19 have already begun, ahead of the official July 11 start date. The ESG includes amphibious assault ship USS Wasp (LHD-1), San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock USS Green Bay (LPD-20) and Whidbey Island-class dock landing ship USS Ashland (LSD-48).
A Chinese Navy intelligence-gathering vessel (AGI) is headed toward the Coral Sea.
“On Saturday night, the Type 815G Dongdiao-class electronic surveillance ship was believed to be north of Papua New Guinea, having begun its voyage south towards Australia late last week,” reported Australia’s ABC.
In the Gulf of Aden
The Boxer Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) with 11th MEU embarked is in the Gulf of Aden.
Amphibious Squadron 5 (PHIBRON 5) is ARG commander. In addition to the Wasp-class USS Boxer (LHD-4), the ARG also includes USS Harper’s Ferry (LSD-49) and USS John P. Murtha (LPD-26).
The ARG includes the “Blackjacks” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 21, Assault Craft Unit 5, Naval Beach Group 1, Beachmaster Unit 1, Fleet Surgical Team 5, and Tactical Air Control Squadron 11.
The Camp Pendleton-based 11th MEU comprises Battalion Landing Team 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines; Marine Attack Squadron 214 equipped with AV-8B Harriers; Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 163 (Reinforced); and Combat Logistics Battalion 11.
The Littoral Combat Ship USS Montgomery (LCS-8) has arrived in Singapore as part of a deployment that started in late May, USNI News reported last week. The LCS made a port call in the Philippines before heading to its forward base in Singapore.
“Montgomery’s arrival in Singapore marks the fourth deployment of littoral combat ships to Southeast Asia. Fast, agile and networked surface combatants, LCS are optimized for operating in the near-shore environments,” read a statement from the service.
In the Gulf of Oman
The Abraham Lincoln CSG is operating in the Gulf of Oman. The region has been a hotspot since tensions between Washington and Tehran have been elevated over the past month or so.
Carrier Strike Group 12
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72), homeported in Norfolk, Va. (shifting to San Diego, Calif., upon completion of deployment)
Carrier Air Wing 7
CVW 7, based at Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., is embarked aboard Lincoln and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Fist of the Fleet” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 25 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Sidewinders” of VFA-86 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Jolly Rogers” of VFA-103 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Pukin’ Dogs” of VFA-143 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Patriots” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 140 from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Bluetails” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 121 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 40 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Night Dippers” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 5 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Griffins” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 79 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 2
The leadership of DESRON 2 is embarked aboard Lincoln and commands the guided-missile destroyers that are operating as part of the CSG.
- USS Bainbridge (DDG-96), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Mason (DDG-87), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Nitze (DDG-94), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
In the Eastern Atlantic
The Kearsarge ARG with embarked 22nd MEU is in the Eastern Atlantic Ocean.
More than 4,500 sailors and Marines in the group departed the East Coast on Dec. 17.
The Kearsarge ARG is commanded by Amphibious Squadron 6. In addition to USS Kearsarge (LHD-3), the ARG includes Norfolk-based USS Arlington (LPD-24) and Mayport, Fla.,-based USS Fort McHenry (LSD-43), according to the Navy.
Along with elements of the 22nd MEU from Camp Lejeune, N.C., Fleet Surgical Teams 2 and 8, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 26, Tactical Air Control Squadron 21, and Naval Beach Group 2 are also embarked, according to the Navy.
In the Southern California Operating Areas
USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) is underway for training.
In the Virginia Capes
USS Harry S Truman (CVN-75) is underway for training. The ship left for its Composite Training Unit Exercise last week ahead of its second deployment in less than a year.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.