The USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker is sponsored by CNA. These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of July 9, 2018, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the map reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
In the Atlantic
Naval aviators from the U.S. and France are training together for the second time this year, anticipating the French Navy’s resumption of carrier operations this fall. As part of French Air Defense week, French Dassault Rafale M Fighters are participating in exercises with F/A-18E/F Super Hornets and E-2D Hawkeyes from Carrier Air Wing One (CVW-1) embarked aboard USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75).
Carrier Strike Group 8
USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
Carrier Air Wing 1
CVW 1 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., is embarked aboard Harry S. Truman and includes nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Red Rippers” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 11 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Checkmates” of VFA-211 from Naval Air Station Oceania, Va.
- The “Sunliners” of VFA-81 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Knighthawks” of VFA-136 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Rooks” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 137 from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Seahawks” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 126 from Naval Air Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 40 from Naval Air Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Dragon Slayers” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 11 from Naval Air Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Proud Warriors” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM 72) from Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Fla.
Destroyer Squadron 28
The leadership of DESRON 28 is embarked aboard Harry S. Truman and commands the CSG’s guided-missile destroyers.
- USS Farragut (DDG-99), homeported in Mayport, Fla.
- USS Forrest Sherman (DDG-98), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Bulkeley (DDG-84), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Arleigh Burke (DDG-51), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS The Sullivans (DDG-68), homeported in Mayport, Fla.
- USS Jason Dunham (DDG-109), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
The Sachsen-class German frigate FGS Hessen (F 221) is also operating as part of the strike group during the first half of the deployment.
The Sullivans and Jason Dunham did not deploy with the strike group but have joined in theater partway through the deployment, after departing from Mayport on May 26 and from Norfolk on June 2, respectively.
USS Normandy (CG-60), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
In the Red Sea
The amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7) is in the Red Sea. The Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) is operating in a disaggregated manner with some units such as USS Oak Hill (LSD-51) in the Baltic, and USS New York (LPD-21) in the Mediterranean.
The Iwo Jima ARG with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) deployed on Feb. 7 from Mayport, Fla. The ARG includes Iwo Jima, Oak Hill, New York, Fleet Surgical Team (FST) 8 and FST-4, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 28, Tactical Air Control Squadron (TACRON) 22, components of Naval Beach Group (NBG) 2 and the embarked staff of Amphibious Squadron (PHIBRON) 4.
In the Western Pacific
The amphibious assault ship USS Wasp (LHD-1) is in port in Sasebo, Japan.
In the Philippine Sea
Aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) and Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruisers USS Antietam (CG-54) and USS Chancellorsville (CG-62) are operating in the Philippine Sea, east of Taiwan.
Two U.S. guided missile destroyers, USS Mustin (DDG-89) and USS Benfold (DDG-65), transited the Taiwan Strait this weekend, a U.S. defense official confirmed to USNI News on Saturday.
In the Middle Pacific
Carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) departed San Diego, Calif., on June 18 and is in Hawaii for the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2018 exercise. The exercise kicked off on Wednesday, June 27.
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 2 is embarked on Carl Vinson for the exercise and includes nine squadrons and detachments.
Carrier Air Wing 2
- The “Bounty Hunters” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 2 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Blue Blasters” of VFA-34 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Kestrels” of VFA-137 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Golden Dragons” of VFA-192 Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Gauntlets” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 136 from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Black Eagles” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 113 from Naval Air Station Point Mugu, Calif.
- The “Providers” Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 30 Detachment 2 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Black Knights” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 4 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Blue Hawks” of HSM 78 – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 78 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
RIMPAC 2018 is the 26th exercise in the series that began in 1971.
Participants include Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Peru, the Republic of Korea, the Republic of the Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tonga, the United Kingdom, the United States and Vietnam.
It will be the first time Israel, Sri Lanka and Vietnam are participating in the exercise. Last week, Brazil dropped out of their planned participation RIMPAC 2018 Exercise.
Media outlets from around Hawaii and partner nations visited the Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH-19) during open ship tours in support of RIMPAC 2018.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Coast Guard cutters and more serving throughout the globe.