These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of April 3, 2023, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
|Total Battle Force||Deployed||Underway|
(USS 238, USNS 58)
(USS 72, USNS 35)
(41 Deployed, 26 Local)
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|2nd Fleet||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
The America Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) is in Sasebo, Japan. The America ARG consists of America, Amphibious Squadron 11 and USS Green Bay (LPD-20).
In Busan, Republic of Korea
The Makin Island ARG/MEU joined in SSang Yong (Twin Dragon) 2023, which included the first large-scale amphibious exercise in the Republic of Korea in five years. The exercise started last week and ended Monday. The ARG and the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit are now in Busan, Republic of Korea.
USS Makin Island (LHD-8), the flagship of the Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group, left Naval Base San Diego on Nov. 9 for a deployment to the Indo-Pacific.
The ARG also includes amphibious transport docks USS John P. Murtha (LPD-26) and USS Anchorage (LPD-23).
During the deployment to the Western Pacific, the ARG has worked with other U.S. assets, including Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 21, P-8A Poseidon aircraft and personnel from U.S. 7th Fleet and CTF 72, 73, 75, 76/3, Destroyer Squadron 7 and Amphibious Squadron 7. Task Force 76/3 was recently formed as a result of merging the staffs of the Navy’s TF 76 and the 3rd Marine Expeditionary Brigade, III Marine Expeditionary Force.
The MEU includes the aviation combat element with the “Flying Leathernecks” of Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 122 flying F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters and the “Ugly Angels” of Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 362 (Reinforced) flying MV-22B Ospreys; the Battalion Landing team of 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines; and Combat Logistics Battalion 13 making up the logistics combat element.
In the East China Sea
The Nimitz Carrier Strike Group (CSG) is underway in the East China Sea. USS Nimitz (CVN-68) joined in the SSang Yong (Twin Dragon) 2023 exercise. The Nimitz CSG also participated in a large anti-submarines warfare exercise with the South Korean and Japanese navies. The Nimitz CSG deployed from the West Coast on Dec. 3 and chopped into U.S. 7th Fleet on Dec. 16.
Carrier Strike Group 11
USS Nimitz (CVN-68), homeported in Bremerton, Wash.
Carrier Air Wing 17
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 17, based at Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif., is embarked aboard Nimitz and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Fighting Redcocks” of VFA-22 Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) flying F/A-18Fs from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Mighty Shrikes” of VFA-94 – F/A-18F – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Kestrels” of VFA-137 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Blue Diamonds” of VFA-146 – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Cougars” of VAQ-139 – EA-18G – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Sun Kings” of VAW-116 – E-2D – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Air Station Point Mugu, Calif.
- The “Providers” of VRC-30 – C-2A – Fleet Logistics Multi-Mission Squadron (VRM) – from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Indians” of HSC-6 – MH-60S – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Air Station North Island.
- The “Battle Cats” of HSM-73 – MH-60R – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station North Island.
USS Bunker Hill (CG-52), homeported at Naval Station San Diego, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 9
Destroyer Squadron 9 is based in Everett, Wash., and is embarked on Nimitz.
- USS Wayne E. Meyer (DDG-108), homeported at Naval Station Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
- USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93), homeported at Naval Station Pearl Harbor.
- USS Decatur (DDG-73), homeported at Naval Station San Diego, Calif.
- USS Paul Hamilton (DDG-60), homeported at Naval Station San Diego.
In the Ionian Sea
The George H. W. Bush Carrier Strike Group (CSG) is in the Ionian Sea. The United States has decided to extend the deployment of the George H.W. Bush carrier strike group to provide options to policymakers after last week’s deadly attacks in Syria by Iran-backed forces, Reuters reported.
U.S. Army General Christopher Cavoli, Supreme Allied Commander Europe and commander of U.S. European Command visited aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77) at sea in late March.
Carrier Strike Group 1
USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77), homeported in Norfolk, Va. Last week, it was announced the Bush received the Battle Efficiency Award for East Coast aircraft carriers.
Carrier Air Wing 7
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 7, based on Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., is embarked on Bush and includes:
- The “Pukin’ Dogs” of VFA-143 Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) flying F/A-18Es from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Jolly Rogers” of VFA-103 – F/A-18F – from Naval Air Station Oceana.
- The “Sidewinders” of VFA-86 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Knighthawks” of VFA-136 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Patriots” of VAQ-140 – EA-18G – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Bluetails” of VAW-121 – E-2D – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of VRC-40 – Detachment – C-2A – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk.
- The “Nightdippers” of HSC-5 – MH-60S – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk.
- The “Grandmasters” of HSM-46 – MH-60R – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Fla.
USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55), homeported at Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
Destroyer Squadron 26 is based in Norfolk and is embarked on the carrier. The following ships deployed with the strike group.
- USS Delbert D. Black (DDG-119), homeported at Naval Station Mayport, Fla.
- USS Truxtun (DDG-103), homeported at Naval Station Norfolk.
- USS Farragut (DDG-99), homeported at Naval Station Mayport.
- USS Nitze (DDG-94), homeported at Naval Station Norfolk.
In the Western Atlantic
The Dwight D. Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group (CSG) is underway in the Virginia Capes Operating Area.
USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) returned to port Sunday after about a month at sea as part of its composite training unit exercise (COMPTUEX) ahead of a planned deployment.
In the Eastern Pacific
The Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group (CSG) is underway in the Southern California Operating Areas conducting exercises ahead of a planned deployment. The CSG will be the first to go to sea with key elements of Project Overmatch that will support the joint tactical network of the future.
USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) is also underway in the Southern California Operating Areas.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units and more serving throughout the globe.