These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of July 25, 2022, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
|Total Battle Force||Deployed||Underway|
(USS 241, USNS 57)
(USS 73, USNS 38)
(56 Deployed, 26 Local)
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|2nd Fleet||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
Amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli (LHA-7) is in port in Okinawa, Japan.
Tripoli departed Naval Station San Diego, Calif., on an independent deployment to the Western Pacific on May 2. The 45,000-ton big-deck amphibious ship has 20 F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters embarked to evaluate the Marines’ “lightning carrier” concept. The Navy and Marine Corps are testing Tripoli’s adjunct capability to a carrier strike group, USNI News has reported.
In Sasebo, Japan
Japan-based USS America (LHA-6) is in port in Sasebo, Japan.
The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group (CSG) is in Singapore for the first time in three years.
Carrier Strike Group 5
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76), homeported in Yokosuka, Japan.
Carrier Air Wing 5
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5, based at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, is embarked aboard Ronald Reagan and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Royal Maces” of VFA-27 – Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan.
- The “Diamondbacks” of VFA-102 from MCAS Iwakuni.
- The “Eagles” of VFA-115 from MCAS Iwakuni.
- The “Dambusters” of VFA-195 from MCAS Iwakuni.
- The “Shadowhawks” of VAQ-141 – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from MCAS Iwakuni.
- The “Tiger Tails” of VAW-125 – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from MCAS Iwakuni.
- The “Providers” of VRC-30 – Detachment 5 – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) – from MCAS Iwakuni.
- The “Golden Falcons” of HSC-12 – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan.
- The “Saberhawks” of HSM-77 – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Facility Atsugi.
- USS Antietam (CG-54), homeported in Yokosuka, Japan.
Destroyer Squadron 15
Destroyer Squadron 15 is based in Yokosuka, Japan, and is embarked on the carrier. Destroyers from Destroyer Squadron 15 are also assigned to the Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group. USS Benfold (DDG-65) recently transited through the Taiwan Strait and performed a freedom of navigation operation in the South China Sea, USNI News reported.
- USS Benfold (DDG-65), homeported in Yokosuka, Japan
In the Middle Pacific
The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group is in Hawaii participating in the Rim of the Pacific 2022 exercise.
“Twenty-six nations, 38 surface ships, four submarines, nine national land forces, more than 170 aircraft and approximately 25,000 personnel will participate in the biennial Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise scheduled June 29 to Aug. 4, in and around the Hawaiian Islands and Southern California,” according to the Navy.
Ships Participating in RIMPAC 2022:
- Landing helicopter dock HMAS Canberra (L02)
- Frigate HMAS Warramunga (FFH 152)
- Attack submarine HMAS Farncomb (SSG-74)
- Replenishment ship HMAS Supply (A195)
- Frigate HMCS Vancouver (FFH 331)
- Frigate HMCS Winnipeg (FFH 338)
- Frigate CNS Almirante Lynch (FF07)
- Frigate FS Prairial (F731)
- Frigate INS Satpura (F48)
- Frigate KRI I Gusti Ngurah Rai (332)
- Helicopter Destroyer JS Izumo (DDH-183)
- Destroyer JS Takanami ((DD-110)
- Corvette KD Lekir (FSG26)
- Frigate ARM Juárez (POLA-101)
- Landing ship tank ARM Usumacinta (A412)
- Replenishment ship HMNZS Aotearoa (A11)
- Corvette BAP Guise (CC-28)
- Frigate BRP Antonio Luna (FF-151)
Republic of Korea
- Landing helicopter platform ROKS Marado (LPH-6112)
- Destroyer ROKS Sejong the Great (DDG-991)
- Destroyer ROKS Munmu the Great (DDH-976)
- Attack submarine ROKS Shin Dol-seok (SS-082)
- Frigate RSS Intrepid (69)
- USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN‑72)
- USS Essex (LHD‑2)
- USS Fitzgerald (DDG‑62)
- USS Mobile Bay (CG‑53)
- USS Gridley (DDG‑101)
- USS Michael Monsoor (DDG‑1001)
- USS Sampson (DDG‑102)
- USS Spruance (DDG‑111)
- USS William P. Lawrence (DDG‑110)
- USS Chafee (DDG‑90)
- USS Tulsa (LCS-16)
- USNS Grasp (T‑ARS‑51)
- USS Charlotte (SSN‑766)
- USS Topeka (SSN‑754)
- USCGC Midgett (WMSL)
- USNS Washington Chambers (T‑AKE‑11)
- USNS Henry J. Kaiser (T‑AO‑187)
- USNS Pecos (T‑AO‑197)
- USV Nomad
- USV Ranger
- USV Sea Hawk
- USV Sea Hunter
Operating off California
- USS Portland (LPD-27)
Countries participating include Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Peru, the Republic of Korea, the Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tonga, the United Kingdom and the United States. Countries not represented by ships at the exercise will be represented by ground elements, along with participation either in the various combined command and staff groups or as observers.
Four countries – Australia, India, Japan and South Korea – have confirmed that their fixed wing aircraft will join, with two Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) P-8 Poseidon Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA), an Indian Navy P-8I MPA, a Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) P-1 MPA and a Republic of Korea Navy (ROKN) P-3 Orion MPA participating.
Carrier Strike Group 3
The Lincoln Carrier Strike Group, on patrol since leaving San Diego, Calif., on Jan. 3.
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
Carrier Air Wing 9
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 9, based at Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif., is embarked aboard Abraham Lincoln and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Black Aces” of VFA-41 Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) flying F/A-18Fs from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Tophatters” of VFA-14 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Vigilantes” of VFA-151 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Black Knights” of VMFA 314 – Marine Strike Fighter Squadron (VMFA) flying F-35Cs from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Calif.
- The “Wizards” of VAQ-133 – EA-18G – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Wallbangers” of VAW-117 – E-2D – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Air Station Point Mugu, Calif.
- The “Titans” of VRM-30 – CMV-22B – Fleet Logistics Multi-Mission Squadron (VRM) – from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Chargers” of HSC-14 – MH-60S – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Air Station North Island.
- The “Raptors” of HSM-71 – MH-60R – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station North Island.
- USS Mobile Bay (CG-53), homeported at Naval Station San Diego, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 21
Destroyer Squadron 21 is based in San Diego and is embarked on the carrier.
- USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62), homeported at Naval Station San Diego.
- USS Gridley (DDG-101), homeported at Naval Station Everett, Wash.
- USS Sampson (DDG-102), homeported at Naval Station Everett.
- USS Spruance (DDG-111), homeported at Naval Station San Diego.
Amphibious assault ship USS Essex (LHD-2) is underway off the coast of Hawaii after departing Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam on July 10.
In the Ionian Sea
The Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (CSG) departed Palma de Mallorca, Spain, and is back underway in the Ionian Sea.
Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin has extended the deployment of the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group, its escorts and Carrier Air Wing 1 as a hedge against Russian aggression in Europe.
USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75) has been operating in the Mediterranean Sea since Austin ordered the strike group to remain on station in December as Russia massed forces along the Ukrainian border.
One defense official told USNI News the carrier could remain in the region until August before returning to its homeport in Norfolk, Va. The Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group is expected to be relieved in the Mediterranean by the George H. W. Bush Carrier Strike Group.
Carrier Strike Group 8
USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
Carrier Air Wing 1
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 1, based at Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., is embarked aboard Harry S. Truman and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Red Rippers” of VFA-11 Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) flying F/A-18Fs from Naval Air Station Oceana.
- The “Fighting Checkmates” of VFA-211 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Oceana.
- The “Blue Blasters” of VFA-34 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Oceana.
- The “Sunliners” of VFA-81 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Oceana.
- The “Rooks” of VAQ-137 – EA-18G – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Seahawks” of VAW-126 – E-2D – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of VRC-40 – Detachment – C-2A – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk.
- The “Dragon Slayers” of HSC-11 – MH-60S – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk.
- The “Proud Warriors” of HSM-72 – MH-60R – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Fla.
- USS San Jacinto (CG-56), homeported at Naval Station Norfolk.
Destroyer Squadron 28
Destroyer Squadron 28 is based in Norfolk and is embarked on the carrier.
- USS Cole (DDG-67), homeported at Naval Station Norfolk.
- USS Bainbridge (DDG- 96), homeported at Naval Station Norfolk.
- USS Gravely (DDG-107), homeported at Naval Station Norfolk.
- USS Jason Dunham (DDG-109), homeported at Naval Station Mayport, Fla.
- USS Gonzalez (DDG-66), homeported at Naval Station Norfolk.
- Royal Norwegian Navy frigate HNoMS Fridtjof Nansen (F310).
In the Eastern Atlantic
The Kearsarge Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) are underway near the Strait of Gibraltar. Naval Station Rota, Spain, is nearby, and is frequently used by returning ARG/MEUs for “wash down” in preparation for returning to the United States. The ARG/MEU must pass a rigorous inspection by custom agents and agricultural inspectors to ensure the ships and vehicles are completely clean.
The ARG includes Kearsarge, USS Arlington (LPD-24) and USS Gunston Hall (LSD-44).
The 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit is based in North Carolina and includes the command element; the aviation combat element, Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron, 263 (Reinforced); the ground combat element, Battalion Landing Team 2/6; and the logistics combat element, Combat Logistics Battalion 26.
In addition to the MEU itself, embarked commands with the Kearsarge ARG include Amphibious Squadron Six, Fleet Surgical Team 2, Tactical Air Control Squadron 22, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 28, Assault Craft Unit 2, Assault Craft Unit 4, Naval Beach Group 2 and Beach Master Unit 2.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.