The following are messages from Secretary of the Navy Carlos Del Toro and Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday on the service’s 246th birthday.
R 121739Z OCT 21 MID200001223622U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/NAVADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/CNO//
SUBJ/CNO BIRTHDAY MESSAGE TO THE FLEET//
1. Shipmates, this year we are celebrating the Navy’s 246th Birthday.
2. The theme of this year’s Birthday celebration is “Resilient and Ready,”
which speaks to the service, dedication and strength of both our Sailors and
3. America’s need for a strong Navy is rooted in our past and has never been
more important. Indeed, providing a safe, secure, and stable maritime system
is an essential part of what our Navy does every day. We are not simply the
“keeper of the seas” but the “keeper of the global way of life” as well. WE
are the primary guarantors of peace, prosperity, and maintain the open flow
of goods on the oceans.
4. Through every deployment and PCS move, spouses often endure separations,
as well as shoulder the day-to-day responsibilities of managing and running a
household – along with their own careers.
5. While our ships and submarines are made of steel, our Sailors and their
families are the lifeblood of our force, and at the heart of our birthday
6. So today, for the seen and unseen responsibilities you ALL carry, and for
the daily sacrifices you ALL make. Thank you.
7. Happy 246th Birthday, Shipmates. See you in the Fleet.
8. Released by Admiral Mike Gilday, Chief of Naval Operations.//