These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of Nov. 16, 2020, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship. This post has been updated.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group (CSG) has returned to port in Yokosuka, Japan. Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5 squadrons returned to their bases at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni and Naval Air Facility Atsugi in Japan. USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) arrived in port on Nov. 14, 2020.
USS America (LHA-6) is in port in Sasebo, Japan.
In the Indian Ocean
USS Nimitz (CVN-68) and the Nimitz Carrier Strike Group have just chopped into U.S. 7th Fleet and are en route to the Malabar Exercise off the West Coast of India. This creates a gap in carrier presence in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility.
Carrier Strike Group 11
San Diego-based CSG 11 commands the Nimitz CSG and is embarked on the carrier.
USS Nimitz (CVN-68), homeported in Bremerton, Wash.
Carrier Air Wing 17
Carrier Air Wing 17, based at Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif., is embarked on Nimitz and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Redcocks” of VFA 22 – Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) F/A-18F Super Hornet – from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Kestrels” of VFA137 F/A-18 E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Mighty Shrikes” of VFA 94 F/A-18F – from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Death Rattlers” of VMFA-323 F/A-18C – from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar San Diego, Calif.
- The “Cougars” of VAQ-139 – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) EA-18G Growlers – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island – Wash.
- The “Sun Kings” of VAW-116 –Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) E2C Hawkeye – from Naval Air Station Point Mugu, Calif.
- The “Providers” of VRC-30 – Detachment – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) C-2 – from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Screamin’ Indians” of HSC-6 – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) MH-60S– from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Battlecats” of HSM-73 – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) MH-60R – from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
USS Princeton (CG-59), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 9
Destroyer Squadron 9 is based at Naval Station Everett, Wash. The DESRON commodore and staff are embarked on Nimitz.
- USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53), homeported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
- USS Sterett (DDG-104), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
- USS Ralph Johnson (DDG-114), homeported in Everett, Wash.
In the Eastern Pacific
The Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) is underway in the Eastern Pacific. USS Makin Island (LHD-8) with the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) embarked are headed west. 15th MEU Marines and sailors have been embarked aboard Makin Island, USS Somerset (LPD-25) and USS San Diego (LPD-22) for a month while conducting graduation training exercises.
In the Western Atlantic
USS Wasp (LHD-1) is underway in the Virginia Capes Operating Areas. USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) is also underway there, doing independent steaming as part of the carrier’s 18-month post-delivery tests and trials.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.