These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of Nov. 25, 2019, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
In Yokosuka, Japan
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) is in port in Yokosuka, Japan.
In the Western Pacific
Amphibious warship USS America (LHA-6) is now operating in U.S. 7th Fleet on route its new homeport of Sasebo, Japan.
In the Persian Gulf
The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group (CSG) is in the Persian Gulf. USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) had departed its old homeport of Norfolk, Va., in April and will shift homeports to to San Diego, Calif., upon completion of deployment. USS Harry S Truman (CVN-75) is expected to deploy this week and will ultimately take Lincoln’s place in U.S. Central Command.
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72), homeported in Norfolk, Va. (shifting to San Diego, Calif., upon completion of deployment)
Carrier Air Wing 7
CVW 7, based at Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., is embarked aboard Lincoln and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Fist of the Fleet” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 25 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Sidewinders” of VFA-86 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Jolly Rogers” of VFA-103 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Pukin’ Dogs” of VFA-143 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Patriots” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 140 from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Bluetails” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 121 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 40 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Night Dippers” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 5 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Griffins” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 79 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 28
Destroyer Squadron 28 — USS Lassen (DDG-82), USS Farragut (DDG-99) and USS Forrest Sherman (DDG-98) — are now supporting the Abraham Lincoln CSG.
USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
In the Eastern Pacific
USS Nimitz (CVN-68), USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) and USS Makin Island (LHD-8) are underway in the Southern California Operating Areas.
The Boxer Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) with the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) is nearing Southern California for the completion of a deployment that began on May 1.
Amphibious Squadron (PHIBRON) 5 is the ARG commander. In addition to amphibious assault ship USS Boxer (LHD-4), the ARG also includes dock landing ship USS Harpers Ferry (LSD-49) and amphibious transport dock USS John P. Murtha (LPD-26). The ARG includes the “Blackjacks” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 21, Assault Craft Unit 5, Naval Beach Group 1, Beachmaster Unit 1, Fleet Surgical Team 5, and Tactical Air Control Squadron 11.
The Camp Pendleton-based 11th MEU is comprised of Battalion Landing Team 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines; Marine Attack Squadron 214 equipped with the AV-8B Harrier; Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 163 (Reinforced); and Combat Logistics Battalion 11.
In the Western Atlantic
USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75) is underway and will ultimately take Abraham Lincoln’s place in the CENTCOM area of responsibility. This deployment will be Truman‘s second in two years, after a 2018 deployment.
“The Truman returned to sea November 18th in order to re-integrate the carrier and air wing after several months of maintenance, and is making final preparations to ensure the carrier, air wing, and Sailors are operationally ready for deployment,” Cmdr. Ashley Hockycko told USNI News on Nov. 19.
“The carrier strike group has maintained a high level of readiness since returning from deployment in December 2018 and have recently completed carrier qualifications aboard USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74).”
Carrier Strike Group 8
USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
Carrier Air Wing 1
Carrier Air Wing 1 is based at Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., and embarked on Harry S. Truman:
- The “Red Rippers” of VFA-11 – Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) – from Naval Air Station Oceana – Va.
- The “Checkmates” of VFA-211 from Naval Air Station Oceana – Va.</li
- The “Sunliners” of VFA-81 from Naval Air Station Oceana – Va.
- The “Knighthawks” of VFA-136 from Naval Air Station Lemoore – Calif.
- The “Rooks” of VAQ-137 – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island – Wash.
- The “Seahawks” of VAW-126 – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk – Va.
- The “Rawhides” of VRC-40 – Detachment – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk – Va.
- The “Dragon Slayers” of HSC-11 – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk – Va.
- The “Proud Warriors” of HSM-72 – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station Jacksonville – Fla.
The Navy has not announced what escorts will accompany the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (CSG) as it heads east for deployment. Destroyer Squadron 28, USS Lassen (DDG-82), USS Farragut (DDG-99), and USS Forrest Sherman (DDG-98) are the escorts that worked up with the CSG; however, they are already in the Persian Gulf supporting the Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group.
USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) is underway for an independent steaming period in the Virginia Capes Operating Areas.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.