These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of Sept. 30, 2019, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
In the South China Sea
The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group is underway in the South China Sea.
The Commander, Task Force (CTF) 70 held a change of command ceremony on Sept. 29 aboard USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76). Rear Adm. George M. Wikoff assumed command of CTF 70 from Rear Adm. Karl O. Thomas. The forward-deployed CTF 70 commander also serves as the commander of the Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 5, the Navy’s forward-deployed strike group centered around Ronald Reagan and the embarked air wing, Carrier Air Wing 5 (CVW) 5.
The Boxer Amphibious Ready Group, with the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit embarked, is also operating in the South China Sea.
Amphibious Squadron 5 (PHIBRON 5) is the ARG commander. In addition to the Wasp-class USS Boxer (LHD-4), the ARG also includes Whidbey Island-class USS Harper’s Ferry (LSD-49) and San Antonio-class USS John P. Murtha (LPD-26).
The ARG includes the “Blackjacks” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 21, Assault Craft Unit 5, Naval Beach Group 1, Beachmaster Unit 1, Fleet Surgical Team 5, and Tactical Air Control Squadron 11.
The Camp Pendleton-based 11th MEU comprises Battalion Landing Team 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines; Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 163 (Reinforced); and Combat Logistics Battalion 11.
In the North Arabian Sea
The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group is in the North Arabian Sea.
Carrier Strike Group 12
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72), homeported in Norfolk, Va. (shifting to San Diego, Calif., upon completion of deployment)
Carrier Air Wing 7
CVW 7, based at Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., is embarked aboard Lincoln and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Fist of the Fleet” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 25 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Sidewinders” of VFA-86 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Jolly Rogers” of VFA-103 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Pukin’ Dogs” of VFA-143 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Patriots” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 140 from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Bluetails” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 121 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 40 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Night Dippers” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 5 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Griffins” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 79 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 2
The leadership of DESRON 2 is embarked aboard Lincoln and commands the guided-missile destroyers that are operating as part of the CSG.
- USS Bainbridge (DDG-96), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Mason (DDG-87), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Nitze (DDG-94), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- ESPS Méndez Núñez (F 104), Ferrol Naval Base, Spain
- USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
In the Eastern Pacific
USS Wasp (LHD-1) is underway in Eastern Pacific. Wasp departed 7th Fleet on Sept. 4 as part of a homeport shift to Norfolk, Va.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.