These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of Aug. 26, 2019, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
In Yokosuka, Japan
The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group (CSG) has returned to its homeport of Yokosuka, Japan, after its summer patrol.
Carrier Strike Group 5
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76), homeported in Yokosuka, Japan
Carrier Air Wing 5
CVW 5, based at Naval Air Facility Atsugi and Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni in Japan, is embarked aboard Ronald Reagan and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Royal Maces” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 27 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Diamondbacks” of VFA-102 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Eagles” of VFA-115 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Dambusters” of VFA-195 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Shadowhawks” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 141 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Tiger Tails” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 125 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Providers” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 30 from Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
- The “Golden Falcons” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 12 Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
- The “Saberhawks” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 77 from Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
U.S. 7th Fleet has not named all the escorts for the Reagan CSG, but it includes Japan-based guided-missile cruisers USS Chancellorsville (CG-62) and USS Antietam (CG-54).
In the Sea of Japan
The Wasp Expeditionary Strike Group is underway between Korea and Japan.
In the Gulf of Aqaba
The Boxer Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) with 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) is in the Gulf of Aqaba.
Amphibious Squadron 5 (PHIBRON 5) is the ARG commander. In addition to the Wasp-class USS Boxer (LHD-4), the ARG also includes Whidbey Island-class USS Harper’s Ferry (LSD-49) and San Antonio-class USS John P. Murtha (LPD-26).
The ARG includes the “Blackjacks” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 21, Assault Craft Unit 5, Naval Beach Group 1, Beachmaster Unit 1, Fleet Surgical Team 5, and Tactical Air Control Squadron 11.
The Camp Pendleton-based 11th MEU comprises Battalion Landing Team 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines; Marine Attack Squadron 214 equipped with AV-8B Harriers; Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 163 (Reinforced); and Combat Logistics Battalion 11.
In the North Arabian Sea
The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group is underway in the North Arabian Sea. Tensions remain high in the area in and around the Strait of Hormuz.
Carrier Strike Group 12
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72), homeported in Norfolk, Va. (shifting to San Diego, Calif., upon completion of deployment)
Carrier Air Wing 7
CVW 7, based at Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., is embarked aboard Lincoln and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Fist of the Fleet” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 25 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Sidewinders” of VFA-86 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Jolly Rogers” of VFA-103 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Pukin’ Dogs” of VFA-143 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Patriots” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 140 from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Bluetails” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 121 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 40 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Night Dippers” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 5 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Griffins” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 79 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 2
The leadership of DESRON 2 is embarked aboard Lincoln and commands the guided-missile destroyers that are operating as part of the CSG.
- USS Bainbridge (DDG-96), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Mason (DDG-87), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Nitze (DDG-94), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- ESPS Méndez Núñez (F 104), Ferrol Naval Base, Spain
- USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
In the Western Atlantic
The amphibious assault ship USS Bataan (LHD-5) and 26th MEU are conducting an ARG/MEU exercise near Camp Lejeune, N.C. The ARGMEUEX provides essential and realistic ship-to-shore training, designed to enhance the integration of the Navy-Marine Corps team prior to deployment.
USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74) is underway off Jacksonville, Fla., conducting carrier qualifications for pilots in training.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.