These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of July 1, 2019, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
In the Western Pacific
The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group (CSG) is just north of the Bismarck Archipelago and moving south toward the Coral Sea. USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) got underway on May 22 from Yokosuka, Japan, for a Western Pacific patrol. Exercise Talisman Sabre 2019 (TS 19) – a bilateral U.S.-Australian training exercise – will occur in the Coral Sea July 11 to 24. The exercise will include forces from New Zealand, Canada, United Kingdom and Japan.
Carrier Air Wing 5
CVW 5, based at Naval Air Facility Atsugi and Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni in Japan, is embarked aboard Ronald Reagan and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Royal Maces” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 27 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Diamondbacks” of VFA-102 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Eagles” of VFA-115 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Dambusters” of VFA-195 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Shadowhawks” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 141 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Tiger Tails” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 125 from MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
- The “Providers” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 30 from Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
- The “Golden Falcons” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 12 Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
- The “Saberhawks” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 77 from Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
Typically, one guided-missile cruiser and three guided-missile destroyers are included in a carrier strike group. U.S. 7th Fleet has not announced the names of the escorts in the Reagan CSG.
In the Coral Sea
The Wasp Expeditionary Strike Group, led by USS Wasp (LHD-1), and elements of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) are underway and operating in the Coral Sea.
The ESG is also set to participate Exercise Talisman Sabre 2019 this month.
In the Gulf of Aden
The Boxer Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) with 11th MEU embarked is in the Gulf of Aden.
Amphibious Squadron 5 (PHIBRON 5) is ARG commander. In addition to the Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Boxer (LHD-4), the ARG also includes Whidbey Island-class dock landing ship USS Harper’s Ferry (LSD-49) and San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock USS John P. Murtha (LPD-26).
The ARG includes the “Blackjacks” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 21, Assault Craft Unit 5, Naval Beach Group 1, Beachmaster Unit 1, Fleet Surgical Team 5, and Tactical Air Control Squadron 11.
The Camp Pendleton-based 11th MEU comprises Battalion Landing Team 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines; Marine Attack Squadron 214 equipped (with AV-8B Harrier); Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 163 (Reinforced); and Combat Logistics Battalion 11.
In the Gulf of Oman
The Abraham Lincoln CSG is operating in the Gulf of Oman. The region has been a hotspot since attacks on petrochemical tankers and the shootdown of a Navy-owned RQ-4A maritime surveillance unmanned aerial vehicle in June.
Carrier Strike Group 12
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72), homeported in Norfolk, Va. (shifting to San Diego, Calif., upon completion of deployment)
Carrier Air Wing 7
CVW 7, based at Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., is embarked aboard Lincoln and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Fist of the Fleet” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 25 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Sidewinders” of VFA-86 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Jolly Rogers” of VFA-103 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Pukin’ Dogs” of VFA-143 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Patriots” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 140 from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Bluetails” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 121 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 40 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Night Dippers” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 5 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Griffins” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 79 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 2
The leadership of DESRON 2 is embarked aboard Lincoln and commands the guided-missile destroyers that are operating as part of the CSG.
- USS Bainbridge (DDG-96), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Mason (DDG-87), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Nitze (DDG-94), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
In Rota, Spain
The Kearsarge ARG with embarked 22nd MEU is at the naval base in Rota, Spain. The naval base – which includes a port and an airfield – is used jointly by Spain and the United States. It remains under Spanish command. The U.S. pays for all the expenses and capital improvements of its extensive infrastructure there. Rota is an important NATO and U.S. logistical hub and is a homeport for Forward Deployed Naval Forces in Europe. FDNF Europe includes four ballistic missile defense capable guided-missile destroyers as part of the U.S. European Phased Adaptive Approach to regional missile defense.
Forward Deployed Naval Forces Europe
- Destroyer Squadron 60
- USS Carney (DDG-64)
- USS Ross (DDG-71)
- USS Donald Cook (DDG-75)
- USS Porter (DDG-78)
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit Eight
More than 4,500 sailors and Marines with the Kearsarge ARG/22nd MEU departed the East Coast on Dec. 17.
The Kearsarge ARG is commanded by Amphibious Squadron 6. In addition to USS Kearsarge (LHD-3), the ARG includes Norfolk-based USS Arlington (LPD-24) and Mayport, Fla.,-based USS Fort McHenry (LSD-43), according to the Navy.
Along with elements of the 22nd MEU from Camp Lejeune, N.C., Fleet Surgical Teams 2 and 8, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 26, Tactical Air Control Squadron 21, and Naval Beach Group 2 are also embarked, according to the Navy.
In the Southern California Operating Areas
USS Nimitz (CVN-68) is underway for basic phase training, and USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) is underway for training.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.