These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of Jan. 7, 2019, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
In the Western Pacific
The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group is in homeport in Yokosuka, Japan. The Wasp Expeditionary Strike Group is in homeport in Sasebo, Japan.
In the Persian Gulf
The aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74) is underway in the Persian Gulf.
Carrier Strike Group 3
USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74), homeported in Bremerton, Wash. (shifting to Norfolk, Va., upon completion of deployment)
Carrier Air Wing 9
CVW 9, based at Naval Air Station Lemoore in California, is embarked aboard Stennis and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Black Aces” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 41 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Tophatters” of VFA-14 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Warhawks” of VFA-97 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Vigilantes” of VFA-151 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Wizards” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 133 from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Wallbangers” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 117 from Naval Air Station Pt Mugu, CA
- The “Providers” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 30 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Chargers” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 14 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Raptors” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 71 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 21
The leadership of DESRON 21 is embarked aboard Stennis and commands the guided-missile destroyers that are operating as part of the CSG.
- USS Stockdale (DDG-106), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
- USS Spruance (DDG-111), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
- USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93), homeported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
USS Mobile Bay (CG-53), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
In the North Arabian Sea
Amphibious assault ship USS Essex (LHD-2) is in the North Arabian Sea. The Essex Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) comprises Wasp-class Essex, San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock USS Anchorage (LPD-23) and Whidbey Island-class dock landing ship USS Rushmore (LSD-47). The ARG and embarked 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) deployed from San Diego on July 10.
In Piraeus, Greece
The Kearsarge ARG is currently in Piraeus, Greece.
More than 4,500 sailors and Marines with the Kearsarge ARG and embarked 22nd MEU departed the East Coast on Dec. 17. The ARG is currently in the Mediterranean Sea for a deployment that will include operations in the European Theater and, likely, in the Middle East.
The ARG is led by USS Kearsarge (LHD-3) and includes Norfolk-based USS Arlington (LPD-24) and Mayport, Fla.,-based USS Fort McHenry (LSD-43), according to the Navy.
On Jan. 6, Fort McHenry and elements of the 22nd MEU entered the Black Sea, according to to U.S. 6th Fleet.
“Our routine operations in the Black Sea also demonstrate the inherent flexibility and capability of U.S. 6th Fleet naval forces,” Vice Adm. Lisa Franchetti, commander of U.S. 6th Fleet, said in a statement.
The ARG is also embarked with Fleet Surgical Teams 2 and 8, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 26, Tactical Air Control Squadron 21, and Naval Beach Group 2, according to the Navy.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.