As details from the Monday shootings emerge, USNI News will update our live blog on the coverage.
The Hill is reporting Chuck Hagel is ordering a total review of base security:
Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel plans to order a security review for United States military bases worldwide in response to Monday’s mass shooting, according to a senior Pentagon official.
The official said Hagel is working with senior officials to determine the process for the review, which could be formally announced as early as Wednesday.
The Navy has already announced plans to conduct a rapid review of its security in response to the attack at the Washington Navy Yard.
Complete story from USNI News on the new base security review from the Department of the Navy.
Defense officials are confirming to USNI News that the Department of the Navy will be conducting two “physical security reviews,” of all Navy and Marine Corps installations.
The first short-term review will insure current standards are being maintained while a second longer review will evaluate if the “correct security requirements are being implemented ,” the defense official said.
USNI News will have more information as the situation develops.
Politico is reporting Aaron Alexis’ employer was unaware of his brushes with the law.
“I’m not the government and the DoD and DSS, but for a secret clearance, I’m not sure if someone fired a gun that that alone would have [stopped them],” Thomas Hoshko, the CEO of The Experts, a South Florida-based subcontractor, said.
“Certainly, to me that would have raised a flag. But would that alone have stopped him from getting clearance? I don’t know that. I don’t authorize that and I don’t issue them. But he did not have a criminal record. He did probably have an incident.”
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, center, and Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, lay a wreath at the Navy Memorial in Washington, D.C., Sept. 17, 2013. The defense leaders held the small ceremony to remember the 12 victims of the Sept. 16 shooting at the Washington Navy Yard. Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, second from right, looks on. DOD photo by Erin A. Kirk-Cuomo
The Washington Post is reporting the remaining five names of the Navy Yard workers killed in the Monday shooting:
Arthur Daniels, 51, of Southeast Washington, D.C.
Mary Francis Knight, 51, of Reston, Va.
Gerald L. Read, 58, of Alexandria, Va.
Martin Bodrog, 54, of Annandale, Va.
Richard Michael Ridgell, 52, of Westminster, Md.
Those names are in addition to the seven released late last night by the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Police Department:
Michael Arnold, 59, of Lorton, Va.
Sylvia Frasier, 53, of Waldorf. Md.
Kathy Gaarde, 62, of Woodbridge, Va.
John Roger Johnson, 73, of Derwood, Md.
Frank Kohler, 50, of Tall Timbers, Md.
Kenneth Bernard Proctor, 46, of Waldorf, Md.
Vishnu Schalchendia Pandit, 61, of North Potomac, Md.
The Navy is unclear when Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) will return to work at the Navy Yard, officials told USNI News on Tuesday. The service is waiting for investigators to conclude work on the yard and Building #197. Most employees at the Navy Yard are either off or teleworking.
Several sources told USNI News that program managers would hold a conference call today to determine a path forward for the 3,000 person headquarters.
NAVSEA oversees almost $30 billion in the service’s acquisition funds focused on the Navy’s surface and submarine forces.
USA Today has aggregated the published information on the seven known victims of the the Navy Yard shooting using mostly reporting from The Associated Press.
Updated map of the Navy Yard shooting, including Aaron Alexis hotel in Southwest D.C.
The Associated Press is reporting Washington Navy Yard shooting suspect Aaron Alexis had suffered several mental health disorders including paranoia and a sleeping problems.
“He had been hearing voices in his head,” officials told the AP.
He had been undergoing treatment at the Veterans Administration.
“The Navy had not declared him mentally unfit, which would have rescinded a security clearance that Alexis had from his earlier time in the Navy Reserves,” reported The AP.
SECDEF Hagel to Lay Wreath at Navy Memorial to Honor Shooting Victims
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, Sept. 17, 2013 – Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and other senior Defense Department leaders will lay a wreath at the U.S. Navy Memorial plaza at 10 a.m. today to honor the victims of yesterday’s shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard.
The wreath will be placed adjacent to “The Lone Sailor,” who represents “all people who have ever served, are serving now, or are yet to serve in the United States Navy,” Pentagon officials said.
Meanwhile, President Barack Obama has ordered that U.S. flags be flown at half-staff through sundown Sept. 20 to honor the victims.
Hagel issued a statement yesterday in the aftermath of the shooting spree that authorities said killed 12 people and wounded at least eight others. The suspected shooter was killed in an encounter with security personnel, officials said.
“I have been receiving regular updates on the shooting at the Washington Navy Yard, and continue to monitor the situation closely,” Hagel said in his statement. “This is a tragic day for the Department of Defense, the national capital area, and the nation. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this outrageous act of violence, their families, and all those affected by today’s events.
“I am grateful for the swift response of federal and local law enforcement, and for the professionalism of DOD personnel at the Navy Yard complex,” the secretary continued. “The Department of Defense will continue to offer its full assistance in the investigation of this terrible and senseless violence.”
Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said he was “deeply shocked and saddened” by the shooting.
Read more at: http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=120804
WASHINGTON (Sept. 16, 2013) Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) Ray Mabus speaks with President Barack Obama from a room at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. Mabus was at the hospital to meet with victims of the Washington Navy Yard shooting and their families. (U.S. Navy photo/Released
The Associated Press is reporting the names of seven of the dead at the Navy Yard, citing Washington, D.C. Police officials.
- 59-year-old Michael Arnold
- 53-year-old Sylvia Frasier
- 62-year-old Kathy Gaarde
- 73-year-old John Roger Johnson
- 50-year-old Frank Kohler
- 46-year-old Kenneth Bernard Proctor
- 61-year-old Vishnu Pandit