These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of Sept. 16, 2019, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
In the Western Pacific
Forward-deployed carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) is underway.
In the Gulf of Aden
The Boxer Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) with 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) is in the Gulf of Aden. Amphibious assault ship USS Boxer (LHD-4) held a change of command ceremony on Sunday. Capt. Dale Heinken relieved Capt. Ronald Dowdell, who had served as Boxer’s commanding officer since July 19, 2018.
Amphibious Squadron 5 (PHIBRON 5) is the ARG commander. In addition to the Wasp-class Boxer, the ARG also includes Whidbey Island-class USS Harper’s Ferry (LSD-49) and San Antonio-class USS John P. Murtha (LPD-26).
The ARG includes the “Blackjacks” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 21, Assault Craft Unit 5, Naval Beach Group 1, Beachmaster Unit 1, Fleet Surgical Team 5, and Tactical Air Control Squadron 11.
The Camp Pendleton-based 11th MEU comprises Battalion Landing Team 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines; Marine Attack Squadron 214 equipped with AV-8B Harriers; Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 163 (Reinforced); and Combat Logistics Battalion 11.
In the Gulf of Oman
The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group is in the Gulf of Oman.
Carrier Strike Group 12
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72), homeported in Norfolk, Va. (shifting to San Diego, Calif., upon completion of deployment)
Carrier Air Wing 7
CVW 7, based at Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., is embarked aboard Lincoln and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Fist of the Fleet” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 25 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Sidewinders” of VFA-86 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Jolly Rogers” of VFA-103 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Pukin’ Dogs” of VFA-143 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Patriots” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 140 from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Bluetails” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 121 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 40 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Night Dippers” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 5 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Griffins” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 79 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 2
The leadership of DESRON 2 is embarked aboard Lincoln and commands the guided-missile destroyers that are operating as part of the CSG.
- USS Bainbridge (DDG-96), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Mason (DDG-87), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Nitze (DDG-94), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- ESPS Méndez Núñez (F 104), Ferrol Naval Base, Spain
- USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
In the Western Atlantic
The amphibious assault ship USS Bataan (LHD-5) and 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) are operating off the East Coast. The Bataan Amphibious Ready Group was part of the U.S. Northern Command response to the disaster response following Hurricane Dorian.
Last week, the escorts from the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group departed from Naval Station Norfolk without USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75). The Navy elected to deploy an impromptu surface action group while Truman
“The SAG will be led by the Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 28 and her staff, along with elements of the carrier strike group staff. The SAG staff brought in about 15 additional personnel to make up for capabilities typically found on the carrier, particularly in the areas of maintenance and technical support,” USNI News reported last week after an interview with U.S. 2nd Fleet Commander Vice Adm. Andrew Lewis.
Ships include Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers USS Lassen (DDG-82) and USS Farragut (DDG-99) from Mayport, Fla., and Norfolk-based USS Forrest Sherman (DDG-98) and Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Normandy (CG-60).
In the Eastern Pacific
USS Nimitz (CVN-68) is underway in the Southern California Operating Areas.
In San Diego
USS Wasp (LHD-1) is in port in San Diego. She is executing a homeport shift to Norfolk.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.