The last long-delayed advanced weapons elevator aboard carrier USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) have been delivered from shipbuilder Huntington Ingalls Industries to the Navy, Naval Sea Systems Command said on Thursday. Read More
Attack submarine USS Connecticut (SSN-22) pulled into its homeport in Bremerton, Wash., on Tuesday after transiting the Pacific Ocean on the surface due to damage from a collision in the South China Sea. Read More
KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA – The current six-month-plus deployment of German frigate FGS Bayern (F217) to the Indo-Pacific is the initial step toward a regular biennial naval deployment to the region, German Navy Chief Vice Adm. Kay-Achim Schönbach said today. Read More
This story has been updated to correct the spelling of the Naval reservist’s name.
A Naval reservist died from COVID-19-related complications, the Navy announced Tuesday.
SAN DIEGO – An expert in electrical engineering told a Navy court that an electrical short in a forklift or some faulty batteries could have sparked the fire that ultimately led the service to scrap the former USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6), countering the Navy’s acceptance from a federal fire investigation that a disgruntled sailor deliberately set it. Read More
This post has been updated to correct the rank for Ryan Mays.
SAN DIEGO – One petty officer’s accusation against a shipmate is at the center of the Navy’s criminal case against the junior sailor charged with deliberately lighting a fire last year that caused the service to scrap the former USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6). Read More
SAN DIEGO – The fire that eventually destroyed much of the former USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) likely was deliberately set to ignite cardboard boxes in a stowage area packed with assorted items that fire investigators ruled out as the ignition source, a federal fire investigator testified in a Navy court Monday.
This story has been updated to clarify that the Navy made the decision to scrap the former USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) last year, not earlier this year.
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Navy prosecutors will make their case to a military officer this week as to why a junior sailor should be court-martialed on charges that he deliberately set the 2020 fire that eventually gutted the former USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) and intentionally put others in danger at Naval Base San Diego.
This story has been updated to include a statement from a spokesperson for Submarine Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet.
Attack submarine USS Connecticut (SSN-22) pulled into San Diego, Calif., Sunday morning after transiting the Pacific Ocean on the surface due to damage from a collision in the South China Sea. Read More