CAPITOL HILL – The Navy and lawmakers are considering how to clarify the chain of command for forward-deployed surface forces to ensure future readiness and accountability while service leadership insists it has done a sufficient job holding accountable those who contributed to last year’s fatal destroyer collisions. Read More
This post has been corrected to reflect early accountability actions taken on USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) after the collision on Aug. 21 with a merchant tanker. The commander and executive officer were removed from their positions, not the Command Master Chief. The post has also been amended to clarify the definition of negligent homicide under military law.
Criminal charges against crew members involved in the two fatal 2017 surface navy collisions that cost the lives of 17 sailors are likely the last accountability actions to be taken by the service, as the admiral overseeing the process has completed his review, Navy officials told USNI News on Wednesday. Read More
This post has been updated to correct the name of the former commander of USS John S. McCain (DDG-56). The correct name is Cmdr. Alfredo J. Sanchez. This post has also been updated with a statement from the service.
The commanders of the two guided-missile destroyers that were involved in fatal collisions with merchant ships in 2017 will face military criminal charges that include dereliction of duty, hazarding a vessel and negligent homicide, USNI News has learned. Read More
The head of U.S. naval surface forces will be replaced this week following the results of an independent investigation into the two fatal collisions in the Western Pacific that claimed the lives of 17 sailors, several defense officials confirmed to USNI News this week. Read More
ARLINGTON, Va. – Two lawmakers today said the Navy needed to make “groundbreaking” changes in how it operates to avoid the readiness problems that contributed to last year’s fatal surface collisions that killed 17 sailors.
USNI News polled its writers, naval analysts and service members on what they consider the most important military and maritime stories in 2017.
The following is part of a series. Please also see Top Stories 2017: Navy Acquisition, International Acquisition, Marine Corps Operations, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Acquisition, International Operations and New Administration.
In 2017, the Navy and Marine Corps were active in nearly every corner of the globe. Some forces conducted land-attack and air warfare not seen by U.S. forces in years, while others provided desperately needed humanitarian aid.
Congress passed another continuing resolution to keep the government open until Jan. 19, inserting into the bill an additional $4.7 billion in missile defense-related spending but putting in peril a flurry of planned ship buys in January. Read More
THE PENTAGON – The Navy historically doesn’t learn from its mistakes, needs better command and control structures to operate the fleet, and needs to be more honest with Congress and the White House about the capabilities it can provide the nation, were key findings contained in a strategic review of the service released on Thursday. Read More
The following is the Dec. 11, 2017 U.S. Strategic Readiness Review released by Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer. The study was launched after two fatal collisions in the Western Pacific between warships and merchant ships that killed 17 sailors. Read More
USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62), crippled in a deadly June collision with a merchant ship, suffered two hull punctures over the weekend by the special transport vessel hired to bring the guided-missile destroyer to the U.S. from Japan for repairs.