Tag Archives: US 7th Fleet

Vice Adm. Nora Tyson Retires from Command of U.S. 3rd Fleet

Vice Adm. Nora Tyson Retires from Command of U.S. 3rd Fleet

Vice Adm. Nora W. Tyson is piped ashore after relinquishing command of U.S. 3rd Fleet to Vice Adm. John D. Alexander during a change of command and retirement ceremony held aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71), Sept. 15. 2017. US Navy Photo

When Vice. Adm. Nora Tyson retired from active duty on Saturday and turned over command of U.S. 3rd Fleet, she left behind a 38-year career highlighted by significant firsts. Read More

Admiral, Captain Removed in Ongoing Investigations into USS John S. McCain, USS Fitzgerald Collisions; Head of Surface Forces Puts in Early Retirement Request

Admiral, Captain Removed in Ongoing Investigations into USS John S. McCain, USS Fitzgerald Collisions; Head of Surface Forces Puts in Early Retirement Request

CTF 70 commander Rear Adm. Charles Williams, DESRON 15 commander Capt. Jeffrey Bennett. USNI News image

This post has been updated to include replacements for CTF-70 and DESRON 15.

The commander of the Navy’s largest operational battle force and his subordinate in charge of the attached destroyer squadron have been removed from their positions as a result of ongoing investigations into a string of incidents this year that resulted in the death of 17 sailors and hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, USNI News has learned. Read More

Cyber Probes to be Part of All Future Navy Mishap Investigations After USS John S. McCain Collision

Cyber Probes to be Part of All Future Navy Mishap Investigations After USS John S. McCain Collision

Damage to the portside is visible as the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) steers towards Changi Naval Base, Republic of Singapore on Aug. 21, 2017. US Navy Photo

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Probing potential cyber tampering and cyber intrusion will now be a standard part of U.S. Navy accident investigation following the Aug. 21 collision of guided missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) with a chemical tanker, Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Bill Moran told Congress last week. Read More

Navy to Use Heavy Lift Ship to Bring Stricken USS John S. McCain to Japan

Navy to Use Heavy Lift Ship to Bring Stricken USS John S. McCain to Japan

Guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) at it steers towards Changi Naval Base, Republic of Singapore following a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC on Aug 21, 2017. US Navy Photo

The Navy will use a heavy lift ship to transport the damaged guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) to Japan for further assessment, Naval Sea Systems Command announced on Wednesday. Read More

Personnel Chief Tapped to Lead USS John S. McCain Investigation; Navy Leaders to Testify on Collisions Before Congress

Personnel Chief Tapped to Lead USS John S. McCain Investigation; Navy Leaders to Testify on Collisions Before Congress

Guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) at it steers towards Changi Naval Base, Republic of Singapore following a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC on Aug 21, 2017. US Navy Photo

The deputy head of Naval Personnel has been quietly tapped to lead an investigation into the collision between guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) and a chemical tanker near Singapore, Navy officials told USNI News on Thursday. Read More

$3.1 Million Contract Awarded to Transport USS Fitzgerald From Japan to Mississippi Shipyard

$3.1 Million Contract Awarded to Transport USS Fitzgerald From Japan to Mississippi Shipyard

170713-N-NT265-025
YOKOSUKA, Japan (July 13, 2017) The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) sits in Dry Dock 4 at Fleet Activities Yokosuka to continue repairs and assess damage sustained from its June 17 collision with a merchant vessel. This view shows damage above the waterline to the outside skin of the ship. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Christian Senyk/Released)

The Navy has awarded a Houston shipping company a $3.1 million contract to move the stricken guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62) to the Gulf Coast for repairs. Read More

Navy ‘Orion Hammer’ Investigation into USS John McCain Collision Has Turned Up No Evidence of Cyber Attack

Navy ‘Orion Hammer’ Investigation into USS John McCain Collision Has Turned Up No Evidence of Cyber Attack

Sailors assigned to the navigation department aboard the amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA-6) look on as the ship arrives in Singapore to provide support to the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56). US Navy Photo

THE PENTAGON – A Navy investigation has turned up little evidence supporting the idea that USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) was a victim of a cyber attack, making it more likely that mechanical failure or crew error is to blame for the Aug. 21 collision between the destroyer and a chemical tanker. Read More

Stricken Destroyer USS Fitzgerald to be Repaired at Huntington Ingalls Industries’ Gulf Coast Shipyard

Stricken Destroyer USS Fitzgerald to be Repaired at Huntington Ingalls Industries’ Gulf Coast Shipyard

USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62) returns to Fleet Activities (FLEACT) Yokosuka following a collision with a merchant vessel while operating southwest of Yokosuka, Japan on June 17, 2017. US Navy Photo

The guided-missile destroyer that suffered a collision with a merchant ship in June off Japan will be transported to Huntington Ingalls Industries’ Mississippi shipyard to be repaired, the Navy told USNI News on Wednesday. Read More

USS Fitzgerald Command Triad Removed Following Early Investigation Results

USS Fitzgerald Command Triad Removed Following Early Investigation Results

Cmdr. Bryce Benson, Cmdr. Sean Babbitt and CMC Brice Baldwin were removed from their positions on USS Fitzgerald

This post has been updated with an additional statement from U.S. 7th fleet.

THE PENTAGON — The top three leaders of the guided-missile destroyer involved in the June collision, which resulted in the death of seven sailors and hundreds of millions of dollars in damage, have been removed from their positions, the vice chief of naval operations told reporters on Thursday afternoon. Read More