THE PENTAGON — The destroyer that was struck by a merchant tanker off Singapore on Aug. 21 will be repaired in Japan, Navy officials told USNI News on Wednesday. Read More
The shipyard tasked restoring the guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62) was awarded a $29.4 million for the initial planning work to repair the warship, according to a recent Pentagon contract announcement. Read More
The following is the Sept. 27, 2017 guidance from U.S. Fleet Forces commander Adm. Phil Davidson to the fleet following the Chief of Naval Operations mandated operational pause in operations after two fatal collisions claimed the lives of 17 sailors. Read More
The head of U.S. Navy forces in the Pacific has requested to retire after being informed he is not the Navy’s choice to take over U.S. Pacific Command, according to a statement provided to USNI News late Monday. Read More
THE PENTAGON – Repairs to the stricken guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62) will take more than a year to complete but those to USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) may take less time, Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer said on Wednesday. Read More
CAPITOL HILL – Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer’s strategic study in the wake of two deadly collisions at sea this year intends to question everything the Navy does – how missions are tasked to ships, whether the service still needs its five numbered fleets, the relationship between the East Coast and West Coast fleets, and more – the secretary told USNI News today after testifying to the Senate Armed Services Committee. Read More
This post has been updated to include additional information from the Senate Armed Services Committee hearing.
CAPITOL HILL – The Navy is creating a new Naval Surface Group Western Pacific to train and certify forward-deployed surface ships operating out of Japan and has begun additional readiness assessments and certifications, after four surface ship collisions and groundings in the region that killed 17 sailors this year. Read More
When Vice. Adm. Nora Tyson retired from active duty on Saturday and turned over command of U.S. 3rd Fleet, she left behind a 38-year career highlighted by significant firsts. Read More
This post has been updated to include replacements for CTF-70 and DESRON 15.
The commander of the Navy’s largest operational battle force and his subordinate in charge of the attached destroyer squadron have been removed from their positions as a result of ongoing investigations into a string of incidents this year that resulted in the death of 17 sailors and hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, USNI News has learned. Read More
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Probing potential cyber tampering and cyber intrusion will now be a standard part of U.S. Navy accident investigation following the Aug. 21 collision of guided missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) with a chemical tanker, Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Bill Moran told Congress last week. Read More