The following is the Sept. 27, 2017 guidance from U.S. Fleet Forces commander Adm. Phil Davidson to the fleet following the Chief of Naval Operations mandated operational pause in operations after two fatal collisions claimed the lives of 17 sailors. Read More
CAPITOL HILL – Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer’s strategic study in the wake of two deadly collisions at sea this year intends to question everything the Navy does – how missions are tasked to ships, whether the service still needs its five numbered fleets, the relationship between the East Coast and West Coast fleets, and more – the secretary told USNI News today after testifying to the Senate Armed Services Committee. Read More
This post has been updated to include additional information from the Senate Armed Services Committee hearing.
CAPITOL HILL – The Navy is creating a new Naval Surface Group Western Pacific to train and certify forward-deployed surface ships operating out of Japan and has begun additional readiness assessments and certifications, after four surface ship collisions and groundings in the region that killed 17 sailors this year. Read More
This post has been updated to include replacements for CTF-70 and DESRON 15.
The commander of the Navy’s largest operational battle force and his subordinate in charge of the attached destroyer squadron have been removed from their positions as a result of ongoing investigations into a string of incidents this year that resulted in the death of 17 sailors and hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, USNI News has learned. Read More
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Probing potential cyber tampering and cyber intrusion will now be a standard part of U.S. Navy accident investigation following the Aug. 21 collision of guided missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) with a chemical tanker, Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Bill Moran told Congress last week. Read More
CAPITOL HILL – The Navy’s second in command told Congress that he had always assumed the service’s forces in Japan were among the services best due to their constant operational tempo. That changed after a quartet of surface ships suffered a chain of incidents that resulted in the death of 17 sailors and hundreds of millions of dollars in damages. Read More
ARLINGTON, Va. — Five companies in the maritime and defense business have been asked to assist with the Secretary of the Navy-directed investigation into underlying causes of the spate of collisions that have cost the lives of 17 sailors and hundreds and millions of dollars in damage. Read More
Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer has launched a civilian-led review to run parallel to the military investigation into the underlying reasons behind a string of surface navy incidents that have resulted in the deaths of 17 sailors and hundreds of millions in damages, according to a Sept. 1 memo launching the effort obtained by USNI News. Read More
The deputy head of Naval Personnel has been quietly tapped to lead an investigation into the collision between guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) and a chemical tanker near Singapore, Navy officials told USNI News on Thursday. Read More
The Navy has recovered the remaining eight sailors who died aboard guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-58) following an Aug. 21 collision, U.S. 7th Fleet announced late Sunday night. Read More