Tag Archives: CNO Adm. John Richardson

CNO Richardson: Perry Frigates Only Inactive Hulls Navy Considering Returning to Active Fleet; DDG Life Extension Study Underway

CNO Richardson: Perry Frigates Only Inactive Hulls Navy Considering Returning to Active Fleet; DDG Life Extension Study Underway

Sailors assigned to the Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate USS Elrod (FFG-55) pose for a photo in front of the ship before her decommissioning ceremony at Naval Station Norfolk in 2015. US Navy Photo

WASHINGTON, D.C. – While all options are on the table in the Navy’s push to field a 355-ship fleet, when it comes to reactivating ships in the inactive fleet, the service is realistically only looking at seven decommissioned Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigates (FFG-7), Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson told USNI News on Thursday. Read More

CNO: Navy ‘Taking a Hard Look’ at Bringing Back Oliver Hazard Perry Frigates, DDG Life Extensions as Options to Build Out 355 Ship Fleet

CNO: Navy ‘Taking a Hard Look’ at Bringing Back Oliver Hazard Perry Frigates, DDG Life Extensions as Options to Build Out 355 Ship Fleet

USS Kauffman (FFG 59) decommissioning ceremony in 2015. US Navy Photo

Studies are underway to “take a hard look” at putting eight mothballed Oliver Hazard Perry frigates back into service as well as extending the life of existing Arleigh Burke guided-missile destroyers to help the Navy reach its goal of a 355-ship fleet, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson said on Tuesday. Read More

CNO Richardson: Navy Must Take Steps Now To Grow, Improve Fleet

CNO Richardson: Navy Must Take Steps Now To Grow, Improve Fleet

Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson holds an all-hands call aboard the littoral combat ship USS Coronado (LCS-4). US Navy Photo

The Navy can begin building up its fleet size in the near-term through accelerating hot production lines of relevant warships, but going forward it will need to focus on the weapons, unmanned vehicles and networks that will boost the capability of both individual hulls and the fleet as a whole. Read More

Sailors, Marines Have New Regulations on Sharing ‘Intimate’ Images Without Consent; Violators Could Face 2 Years in Prison

Sailors, Marines Have New Regulations on Sharing ‘Intimate’ Images Without Consent; Violators Could Face 2 Years in Prison

Marines and sailors stand at parade rest while manning the rails of the amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD-8) on Oct. 14, 2016. US Marine Corps Photo

This post has been updated to include a statement from U.S Navy Chief of Information Rear Adm. Dawn Cutler. 

In the wake of Navy and Marine Corps photo sharing scandals, acting Secretary of the Navy Sean Stackley issued new changes to Department of the Navy regulations that make sharing ‘intimate images’ without the consent of the photographed illegal under military law, according to an ALNAV message posted on Tuesday. Read More

Navy Adds Transparency, Strategy Provisions to Budget Process

Navy Adds Transparency, Strategy Provisions to Budget Process

Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) Ray Mabus testifies before the Senate Armed Services Committee on the Department of Navy's fiscal year 2017 budget and posture. US Navy Photo

Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) Ray Mabus testifies before the Senate Armed Services Committee on the Department of Navy’s fiscal year 2017 budget and posture. US Navy Photo

Navy leadership will change how it crafts its budget in an effort to focus on strategic needs rather than starting the process with spending limits front and center, Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Bill Moran told USNI News last week. Read More