The number two in command of the guided-missile destroyer involved in a fatal collision off of Singapore in August was found guilty of dereliction of duty on this week, according to a statement from the Navy. Read More
The following is the Fiscal Year 2019 U.S. Navy 30-year shipbuilding plan, released by the service on Feb. 12, 2018. Read More
SAN DIEGO, Calif. — The upcoming Fiscal Year 2019 budget request will support Navy efforts to begin building a 355-ship fleet while also balancing capability upgrades and readiness, the chief of naval operations said on Thursday. Read More
THE PENTAGON – Navy leadership has issued more punishments to sailors involved in the two fatal collisions in the Western Pacific, senior service officials told USNI News on Thursday. Read More
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson wants to expand how lawmakers, the public and the service think about the U.S. Navy by focusing on a six-pronged approach to achieving and maintaining U.S. naval power. Read More
CAPITOL HILL – Next month’s Pentagon budget request to Congress will include a 30-year shipbuilding plan, Navy leadership said today. Read More
CAPITOL HILL – The Navy and lawmakers are considering how to clarify the chain of command for forward-deployed surface forces to ensure future readiness and accountability while service leadership insists it has done a sufficient job holding accountable those who contributed to last year’s fatal destroyer collisions. Read More
This post has been corrected to reflect early accountability actions taken on USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) after the collision on Aug. 21 with a merchant tanker. The commander and executive officer were removed from their positions, not the Command Master Chief. The post has also been amended to clarify the definition of negligent homicide under military law.
Criminal charges against crew members involved in the two fatal 2017 surface navy collisions that cost the lives of 17 sailors are likely the last accountability actions to be taken by the service, as the admiral overseeing the process has completed his review, Navy officials told USNI News on Wednesday. Read More
This post has been updated to correct the name of the former commander of USS John S. McCain (DDG-56). The correct name is Cmdr. Alfredo J. Sanchez. This post has also been updated with a statement from the service.
The commanders of the two guided-missile destroyers that were involved in fatal collisions with merchant ships in 2017 will face military criminal charges that include dereliction of duty, hazarding a vessel and negligent homicide, USNI News has learned. Read More
The head of U.S. naval surface forces will be replaced this week following the results of an independent investigation into the two fatal collisions in the Western Pacific that claimed the lives of 17 sailors, several defense officials confirmed to USNI News this week. Read More