Category Archives: Submarine Forces

Interview: Larry Bond on Tom Clancy

Interview: Larry Bond on Tom Clancy

Sreenshot from the 1988 game Red Storm Rising by MicroProse based on the novel by Tom Clancy and Larry Bond.

Image from the 1988 game Red Storm Rising by MicroProse based on the novel by Tom Clancy and Larry Bond.

Longtime friend of Tom Clancy and co-author of Red Storm Rising—the 1985 bestseller about a full-blown war between the Soviet Union and NATO—Larry Bond spoke with USNI News last week shortly after Clancy’s death. Bond — a retired U.S. naval officer — is also the creator of the well-known naval strategy game “Harpoon,” which Clancy played while crafting the world of The Hunt for Red October. Bond, now a novelist himself, spoke with USNI News about how Clancy did his research, the origin of “Harpoon,” why Clancy’s novels helped define the Cold War for a generation of Americans, and the relationship between torpedoes and orcs from “Dungeon and Dragons.” Read More

Shutdown: Impact on Navy Operations is Still Unclear

Shutdown: Impact on Navy Operations is Still Unclear

Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers USS Ramage (DDG-61), USS Barry (DDG-52) and USS Stout (DDG-55) conduct a replenishment-at-sea with the Military Sealift Command oiler USNS Leroy Grumman (T-AO-195) on Sept. 27. US Navy Photo

Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers USS Ramage (DDG-61), USS Barry (DDG-52) and USS Stout (DDG-55) conduct a replenishment-at-sea with the Military Sealift Command oiler USNS Leroy Grumman (T-AO-195) on Sept. 27. US Navy Photo

Even with most of the Navy’s civilian workforce returning to their jobs on Monday, there are still lingering questions on how the government shutdown on the Navy’s ships and aircraft. Read More

Shutdown: Adm. Gortney's Message to Fleet

Shutdown: Adm. Gortney’s Message to Fleet

From the Oct. 4 message from Fleet Forces commander Adm. Bill Gortney to the fleet.

During the current government shutdown, the Fleet will continue to provide ready forces to safeguard national security. In the meantime, we must remember that war fighting is first, and we will continue to provide the best possible support to those engaged in that fight. Concurrently, we will continue to protect the lives and property of our Nation’s citizens. We have historically demonstrated good judgment and scrutiny of our operations and expenditures, and I expect even greater scrutiny in the current environment. Read More

Shutdown: Navy Public Shipyards Furlough Thousands

Shutdown: Navy Public Shipyards Furlough Thousands

Puget Sound Naval Shipyard removes propeller four from USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74) for maintenance. US Navy Photo

Puget Sound Naval Shipyard removes propeller four from USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74) for maintenance. US Navy Photo

The Navy’s four public shipyards will all suffer furloughs that may affect Naval Sea Systems Command’s (NAVSEA) ability to conduct ship maintenance, Navy officials told USNI News on Tuesday.

Thousands of workers at the shipyards have been told to stay at home as the standoff between House Republicans and the Obama administration over a pending continuing resolution measure continues.

Read More

Opinion: Why More Commanding Officers are Getting Fired

Opinion: Why More Commanding Officers are Getting Fired

USS Rentz (FFG-46) in 2009. US Navy Photo

USS Rentz (FFG-46) in 2009. US Navy Photo

As of this date, 16 Navy commanding officers, including five ship captains, have been relieved of their respective commands in 2013.

Is this number particularly significant? Well, while the number of ships in commission has continued to decline, to what is now the lowest number since 1916, the number of ship captains being relieved of their commands is steadily increasing. So, the percentage of ship captains being fired is rising, every year, and that should be a concern. Read More

Interview: Randy Forbes on Sequestration, the Navy and China

Interview: Randy Forbes on Sequestration, the Navy and China

 

Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus speaks with Randy Forbes in Forbes' office on June 13, 2013. US Navy Photos

Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus speaks with Randy Forbes in Forbes’ office on June 13, 2013. US Navy Photo

Rep. Randy Forbes (R-VA) — chairman of the House Armed Services Seapower and Projection Forces subcommittee — sat down with USNI News on Sept. 18 to talk about the challenges of sequestration, how he feels about the Littoral Combat Ship program, China, what the Navy is doing right and—more important—what the Navy is doing wrong. Read More

A Brief History of Naval Wargames

A Brief History of Naval Wargames

navalwargamesFor more than 100 years, the U.S. Navy has simulated naval warfare with simulations, or games. As far back as the 19th century the Navy recognized that gaming and simulations are an inexpensive and bloodless way to learn lessons that typically are imparted only during wartime.

The use of games traditionally has had multiple purposes. The foremost is to train for war. Simulating warfare gives those involved the closest possible experience they can have to actual warfare, thus giving them a modicum of experience under fire. It is an inexpensive way to train without the expense of taking ships and aircraft to sea, particularly in periods of austerity. Read More

CNO: Navy Needs to Reshuffle $ 2 billion to Cover O&M and Shipbuilding Accounts

CNO: Navy Needs to Reshuffle $ 2 billion to Cover O&M and Shipbuilding Accounts

Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. Jonathan Greenert testifies before the House Armed Services Committee on Sept. 18, 2013. US Navy Photo

Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. Jonathan Greenert testifies before the House Armed Services Committee on Sept. 18, 2013. US Navy Photo

Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Jonathan Greenert informally asked the House Armed Services Committee (HASC) for authority to shuffle $ 2 billion in Navy funds to shore up gaps in maintenance, operations and procurement the service would suffer in Fiscal Year 2014 under the current sequestration cuts, Greenert said as part of his testimony before the HASC on Wednesday. Read More

Mabus Orders Immediate Review of Navy and Marine Base Security

Mabus Orders Immediate Review of Navy and Marine Base Security

Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus interviewed by reporters near the Washington Navy Yard on Sept. 16, 2013. US Navy Photo

Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus interviewed by reporters near the Washington Navy Yard on Sept. 16, 2013. US Navy Photo

Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus has kicked off two separate reviews of Navy and Marine Corps installation security following the Monday shooting at the Washington Navy Yard, a defense official told USNI News on Tuesday.

The first review will, “insure physical security standards are in place and are being maintained,” at Department of the Navy bases around the world, the official said.

Read More