These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of Sept. 27, 2021, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
In the Phillippine Sea
The Reagan Carrier Strike Group (CSG) and the Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group (CSG) are operating together in the Philippine Sea.
The Japan-based Ronald Reagan CSG transited the South China Sea over the past few days. According to the Navy, the CSG conducted flight operations, maritime strike operations, anti-submarine operations and tactical training while in the South China Sea. The Reagan CSG departed Yokosuka in May and recently spent almost three months operating in the U.S. 5th Fleet.
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76), homeported in Yokosuka, Japan.
Carrier Air Wing 5
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5, based at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, is embarked aboard Ronald Reagan and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Royal Maces” of VFA-27 – Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Diamondbacks” of VFA-102 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Eagles” of VFA-115 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Dambusters” of VFA-195 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Shadowhawks” of VAQ-141 – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Tigertails” of VAW-125 – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Providers” of VRC-30 – Detachment 5 – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Golden Falcons” of HSC-12 – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Facility Atsugi, Japan
- The “Saberhawks” of HSM-77 – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
USS Shiloh (CG-67), homeported in Yokosuka.
Destroyer Squadron 15
Destroyer Squadron 15 is based in Yokosuka, Japan, and is embarked on the carrier. U.S. 7th Fleet has not fully specified the escorts accompanying on its patrol, but the CSG includes:
- USS Halsey (DDG-97), homeported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
The Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group is in the Philippine Sea. The CSG deployed on Aug. 2, operating in U.S. 7th Fleet. This is the first U.S. Navy deployment of F-35C Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters and the Navy’s new CMV-22B Osprey carrier onboard delivery aircraft.
The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Chafee (DDG-90); and Independence-variant littoral combat ship USS Tulsa (LCS-16) are the escorts currently operating with the Carl Vinson CSG. The CSG’s other guided-missile destroyers are operating throughout 7th Fleet.
USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
Carrier Air Wing 2
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 2, based at Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif., is embarked aboard Carl Vinson and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Argonauts” of VFA-147 Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) flying F-35Cs from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Bounty Hunters” of VFA-2 – F/A-18F – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Stingers” of VFA-113 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Golden Dragons” of VFA-192 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Gauntlets” of VAQ-136 – EA-18G – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Black Eagles” of VAW-113 – E-2D – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Air Station Point Mugu, Calif.
- The “Titans” of VRM-30 – CMV-22B – Fleet Logistics Multi-Mission Squadron (VRM) – from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Black Knights” of HSC-4 – MH-60S – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Air Station North Island.
- The “Blue Hawks” of HSM-78 – MH-60R – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station North Island.
USS Lake Champlain (CG-57), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 1
Destroyer Squadron 1 is based in San Diego and is embarked on the carrier.
- USS Dewey (DDG-105), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
- USS O’Kane (DDG-77), homeported in San Diego.
- USS Michael Murphy (DDG-112), homeported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
- USS Chafee (DDG-90), homeported in Pearl Harbor.
- USS Stockdale (DDG-106), homeported in San Diego.
In the Persian Gulf
The Essex Amphibious Ready Group with the embarked 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit deployed Aug. 12 and continues to operate in the Persian Gulf.
The ARG is comprised of three ships: USS Essex (LHD-2), amphibious transport dock USS Portland (LPD-27), and amphibious dock landing ship USS Pearl Harbor (LSD-52). Together, the 11th MEU, Amphibious Squadron (PHIBRON) 1 and ships are designated as an ARG/MEU. In addition to the ships, the principal Navy elements of the ARG are a Naval Beach Group element, the Tactical Air Control Squadron element, a fleet surgical team, and a helicopter sea combat squadron element.
The 11th MEU consists of four major components: a command element, a ground combat element, an aviation combat element, and a logistics combat element. The 11th MEU is comprised of Battalion Landing Team 1/1, Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 165 (Reinforced), Marine Attack Squadron 214, and Combat Logistics Battalion 11. With the arrival in theater of the Essex ARG and 11th MEU, the Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group and the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) can start their return transit home.
In the Eastern Atlantic
Having transited the Suez early last week, the Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) steamed directly through the Mediterranean Sea and are now in the Eastern Atlantic. The Iwo Jima ARG and the 24th MEU deployed on March 25. They are headed home to the East Coast of the U.S.
The ARG/MEU consists of the amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7), Harpers Ferry-class dock landing ship USS Carter Hall (LSD-50) and amphibious transport dock USS San Antonio (LPD-17). Embarked detachments for the Iwo Jima ARG include Amphibious Squadron Four, Fleet Surgical Team (FST) Six, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 26, Tactical Air Control Squadron (TACRON) 21, Naval Beach Group (NBG) Two, Beach Master Unit (BMU) Two, Assault Craft Unit (ACU) Two and Four, and Sailors from Amphibious Construction Battalion (ACB) Two.
The 24th MEU, which is headquartered at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C., consists of a Ground Combat Element, Battalion Landing Team (BLT) 1/8, a Logistics Combat Element, Combat Logistics Battalion (CLB) 24, and an Aviation Combat Element, Medium Tilt-Rotor Squadron (VMM) 162 Reinforced. The 24th MEU also includes a Light Armored Reconnaissance detachment.
In the Western Pacific
Goodbye Guam 🇬🇺 👋
This morning @HMSQNLZ set sail after successful maintenance 🔧 and time ashore.
☀️ 🛶 🏄🏼 🐠 🤿 🚴♀️ 🏝 🍗 🍕🏌️♂️⚽️ 🏏
— HMS Queen Elizabeth 🇬🇧 (@HMSQNLZ) September 27, 2021
The U.K. Royal Navy Carrier Strike Group, led by HMS Queen Elizabeth (R08), got underway Monday, Sept. 27, having just completed its maintenance and upkeep in Guam.
The U.K. Carrier Strike Group has included: Type 23 anti-submarine frigates HMS Richmond (F239) and HMS Kent (F78); Type 45 guided-missile destroyers HMS Defender (D36) and HMS Diamond (D34); Royal Fleet Auxiliary’s RFA Fort Victoria and RFA Tidespring; U.S. destroyer USS The Sullivans (DDG-68), Dutch frigate HNLMS Evertsen (F805); and the nuclear attack boat HMS Artful (S121). The “Wake Island Avengers” of U.S. Marine Corps Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 211 are embarked and integrated with Royal Air Force 617 Squadron “The Dambusters.”
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.