These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of Aug. 16, 2021, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
In the North Arabian Sea
The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group is in the North Arabian Sea. USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76), guided-missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) and guided-missile destroyer USS Halsey (DDG-97) arrived in U.S. 5th Fleet on June 25. This puts the carrier in a position to support Afghanistan with airstrikes as needed.
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76), homeported in Yokosuka, Japan.
Carrier Air Wing 5
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5, based at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, is embarked aboard Ronald Reagan and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Royal Maces” of VFA-27 – Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Diamondbacks” of VFA-102 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Eagles” of VFA-115 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Dambusters” of VFA-195 from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Shadowhawks” of VAQ-141 – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Tigertails” of VAW-125 – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Providers” of VRC-30 – Detachment 5 – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Golden Falcons” of HSC-5 – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Facility Atsugi, Japan
- The “Saberhawks” of HSM-77 – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
USS Shiloh (CG-67), homeported in Yokosuka.
Destroyer Squadron 15
Destroyer Squadron 15 is based in Yokosuka, Japan, and is embarked on the carrier. U.S. 7th Fleet has not fully specified the escorts accompanying Reagan on its patrol, but the CSG includes:
- USS Halsey (DDG-97), homeported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
The Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group and the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) made a Suez transit and entered the Central Command theater on June 1.
After entering the Persian Gulf in late July, the ARG is now in the North Arabian Sea. International attention has been focused on Afghanistan where the regime has collapsed. Over 3,000 U.S. Marines and Army soldiers were sent there in the past few days to support the U.S. withdrawal. Another 1000 are being added. It is not clear what if any support is being provided from the 24 MEU. There is a Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force – Crisis Response based in Central Command. It is likely that was the force of choice for the Marine battalions, but the Pentagon has not confirmed what units have been sent.
Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7), Harpers Ferry-class dock landing ship USS Carter Hall (LSD-50) and amphibious transport dock USS San Antonio (LPD-17) make up the ARG. Embarked detachments for the Iwo Jima ARG include Amphibious Squadron Four, Fleet Surgical Team (FST) Six, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 26, Tactical Air Control Squadron (TACRON) 21, Naval Beach Group (NBG) Two, Beach Master Unit (BMU) Two, Assault Craft Unit (ACU) Two and Four, and Sailors from Amphibious Construction Battalion (ACB) Two.
The 24th MEU, which is headquartered at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C., consists of a Ground Combat Element, Battalion Landing Team (BLT) 1/8, a Logistics Combat Element, Combat Logistics Battalion (CLB) 24, and an Aviation Combat Element, Medium Tilt-Rotor Squadron (VMM) 162 Reinforced. The 24th MEU also includes a Light Armored Reconnaissance detachment.
In the Western Pacific
HMS Queen Elizabeth (R08) and the U.K. Royal Navy Carrier Strike Group are back at sea following a port visit in Guam.
The U.K. Carrier Strike Group includes: Type 23 anti-submarine frigates HMS Richmond (F239) and HMS Kent (F78); Type 45 guided-missile destroyers HMS Defender (D36) and HMS Diamond (D34); Royal Fleet Auxiliary’s RFA Fort Victoria and RFA Tidespring; U.S. destroyer USS The Sullivans (DDG-68), Dutch frigate HNLMS Evertsen (F805); and the nuclear attack boat HMS Artful (S121).” The Wake Island Avengers” of U.S. Marine Corps Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 211 are embarked and integrated with Royal Air Force 617 Squadron, “The Dambusters.”
The America Amphibious Ready Group is underway after leaving Guam for a port visit on Aug. 11.
The ARG consists of USS America (LHA-6), USS New Orleans (LPD-18) and USS Germantown (LSD-42) with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit embarked.
According to the Navy, the America Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG) recently completed the Talisman Sabre 21 exercise. During Talisman Sabre 21, the America ARG and the Marines embarked integrated with the Royal Australian Navy, Royal Canadian Navy, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force and Republic of Korea Navy.
The 31st MEU is currently comprised of Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron (VMM) 265 (Reinforced) as the Amphibious Combat Element, Battalion Landing Team, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines as the Ground Combat Element and Combat Logistics Battalion 31 as the Logistics Combat Element.
In the Middle Pacific
The Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group deployed on Aug. 2 and is in the middle Pacific. The CSG participated in the global Large Scale Exercise. This is the first U.S. Navy deployment of F-35C Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters and the Navy’s new CMV-22B carrier onboard delivery aircraft.
USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
Carrier Air Wing 2
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 2, based at Naval Air Station Lemoore, California, is embarked aboard Carl Vinson and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Argonauts” of VFA-147 Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) flying F-35Cs from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Bounty Hunters” of VFA-2 – F/A-18F – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Stingers” of VFA-113 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Golden Dragons” of VFA-192 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Gauntlets” of VAQ-136 – EA-18G – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Black Eagles” of VAW-113 – E-2D — Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Air Station Point Mugu, Calif.
- The “Titans” of VRM-30 – CMV-22B – Fleet Logistics Multi-Mission Squadron (VRM) – from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Black Knights” of HSC-4 – MH-60S – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Air Station North Island.
- The “Blue Hawks” of HSM-78 – MH-60R – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station North Island.
USS Lake Champlain (CG-57), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 1
Destroyer Squadron 1 is based in San Diego and is embarked on the carrier.
- USS Dewey (DDG-105), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
- USS Higgins (DDG-76), homeported in San Diego.
- USS O’Kane (DDG-77), homeported in San Diego.
- USS Michael Murphy (DDG-112), homeported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
- USS Chafee (DDG-90), homeported in Pearl Harbor.
- USS Stockdale (DDG-106), homeported in San Diego.
In the Eastern Pacific
USS Essex (LHD-2) is underway in the Southern California Operating Areas.
In the Western Atlantic
USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75) and USS Kearsarge (LHD-3) are underway in the Virginia Capes Operating Areas. Kearsarge is underway to support Large-Scale Exercise 2021 (LSE 2021) which ends today.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.