These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of March 18, 2019, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group (CSG) is in its homeport in Yokosuka, Japan. USS Wasp (LHD-1) is in its homeport in Sasebo, Japan. Later this year, Wasp will relocate to Norfolk, Va., and USS America (LHA-6) will serve as the new flagship of the Forward Deployed Naval Forces Japan (FDNF-J) amphibious fleet.
In the Arabian Sea
The John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group is in U.S. 5th Fleet and operating in the Arabian Sea. USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74) departed Bremerton, Wash., on Oct. 15 for the deployment that will end at the carrier’s new homeport at Naval Station Norfolk, Va. The homeport change comes ahead of the carrier’s mid-life refueling and complex overhaul in Newport News, Va.
Carrier Strike Group 3
USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74), homeported in Bremerton, Wash. (shifting to Norfolk, Va., upon completion of deployment)
Carrier Air Wing 9
CVW 9, based at Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif., is embarked aboard Stennis and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Black Aces” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 41 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Tophatters” of VFA-14 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Warhawks” of VFA-97 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Vigilantes” of VFA-151 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Wizards” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 133 from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Wallbangers” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 117 from Naval Air Station Pt Mugu, CA
- The “Providers” of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 30 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Chargers” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 14 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Raptors” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 71 from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 21
The leadership of DESRON 21 is embarked aboard Stennis and commands the guided-missile destroyers that are operating as part of the CSG.
- USS Stockdale (DDG-106), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
- USS Spruance (DDG-111), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
- USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93), homeported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
USS Mobile Bay (CG-53), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
The Kearsarge Amphibious Ready Group (ARG), with embarked 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), is operating in the Arabian Sea.
The ARG is led by Wasp-class amphibious assault ship Kearsarge and includes amphibious transport dock USS Arlington (LPD-24) and dock landing ship USS Fort McHenry (LSD-43), according to the Navy. The more than 4,500 sailors and Marines left the East Coast on Dec. 17. The deployment will likely include operations in Europe and the Middle East.
Along with elements of the 22nd MEU from Camp Lejeune, N.C., Fleet Surgical Teams 2 and 8, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 26, Tactical Air Control Squadron 21, and Naval Beach Group 2 are also embarked, according to the Navy.
In the Eastern Pacific
USS Boxer (LHD-4), with elements of the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) embarked, is underway for training in the Southern California Operating Areas.
In the Western Atlantic
After completing a three-month maintenance period, the aircraft carrier USS Harry S Truman (CVN-75) got underway from Norfolk, VA on March 16. The ship is underway in the Virginia Capes Operating Areas conducting trials and training.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands of others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units, and more serving throughout the globe.