The following is the Aug. 4, 2018 ALCOAST message on the occasion of the 228th anniversary of the founding of the revenue cutter service.
ALCOAST 279/18 – AUG 2018 COAST GUARD’S 228TH BIRTHDAY
U.S. Coast Guard sent this bulletin at 08/03/2018 03:12 PM EDT
R 031507 AUG 18
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-00//
SUBJ: COAST GUARD’S 228TH BIRTHDAY
1. August 4th, 2018 marks the Coast Guard’s 228th birthday. Now at the helm of the nation’s oldest continuous sea service, your senior leadership team is engaged in earnest with the important work of plotting the future course of our great Service.
2. Over the next four years, you will hear me talk about the Coast Guard as a “Ready, Relevant, and Responsive” force. This simple paradigm describes the essential and complex work that our mission-ready total workforce of active duty, civilian, reserve, and auxiliary does every day to support the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Defense Combatant Commanders, and the nation’s maritime interests.
3. To be “Ready” is to meet the needs of the public we serve. We must recruit, develop, and retain an adaptive and modern workforce focused on executing our broad portfolio of missions. Staying ready also requires modern and capable assets and the fiscal resources to operate in the face of dynamic threats.
4. Our Coast Guard is “Relevant” probably more so today than ever before, and we will continue to meet the needs of the Nation. We are a highly adaptive, multi-mission force that easily partners across the maritime domain from law enforcement agencies to commercial maritime interests.
5. And our Coast Guard will continue to be “Responsive” during crises, whether man-made or triggered by natural disaster, because our people are empowered to be agile, decisive leaders. We will focus on enhancing Service-wide resiliency and preparedness for contingency operations while protecting and defending the Homeland.
6. Happy 228th Birthday to the United States Coast Guard and the Coast Guard men and women, past and present, devoted to the service of our Nation!
7. ADM Karl Schultz, Commandant, sends.
8. Internet release authorized.