Secretary Chuck Hagel did not paint a rosy picture for the future as the Pentagon is held to last year’s spending levels following the Thursday passage of a new Continuing Resolution to end the government shutdown. Read More
The following is a Thursday memorandum signed by Office of Management and Budget head Sylvia Mathews Burwell instructing department managers in the federal government to reopen their offices. Read More
Even with most of the Navy’s civilian workforce returning to their jobs on Monday, there are still lingering questions on how the government shutdown on the Navy’s ships and aircraft. Read More
The Pentagon today will be bringing back most of the 350,000 civilian employees who were put on furlough last week in the wake of a congressional deadlock over spending bills for this fiscal year, Department of Defense officials announced Saturday. Read More
With the House voting again to delay for a year the start of the Affordable Care Act and repealing a tax on medical devices that helps pay for the measure, a partial shutdown of the federal government this week appears nearer. The Senate is expected to take up and reject the bill when it convenes today, likely in the middle of the afternoon. Read More
Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Jonathan Greenert informally asked the House Armed Services Committee (HASC) for authority to shuffle $ 2 billion in Navy funds to shore up gaps in maintenance, operations and procurement the service would suffer in Fiscal Year 2014 under the current sequestration cuts, Greenert said as part of his testimony before the HASC on Wednesday. Read More
From the document:
In this statement I will explain the impacts of sequestration having occurred in FY 2013 and current law imposing reduced discretionary caps in future years, and why I believe these caps will preclude our ability to execute the 2012 Defense Strategic Guidance (DSG) in the long term. In the near term, sequestration in FY 2014 will negatively impact our readiness and investments, further degrading programs in all appropriations except military personnel. Combined with the prohibitions on transferring funds, increasing program quantities and starting new projects associated with a continuing resolution, these impacts will be considerably worse in FY 2014 than they were in FY 2013. Read More
The Navy plans to inactivate the Los Angeles-class (SSN-688) arson damaged attack boat USS Miami (SSN-755) due to budget constraints, the service said in a statement provided to USNI News late Tuesday.
“The Navy notified Congress today of its intent to inactivate USS Miami as the prudent and fiscally responsible choice in the face of sequestration,” according to the Navy statement.
“Following a comprehensive damage assessment over the past year, the Navy now has a clearer picture of the work scope and cost of repairs to Miami resulting from an arson fire in 2012.” Read More
Adm. Jonathan Greenert briefs reporters at the Pentagon on the State of the Navy on July 19, 2013. Read More
The Navy plans to deploy USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75) on Monday from Naval Station Norfolk, Va. to the Middle East and the Mediterranean, Navy officials told USNI News on Thursday.
Truman — along with Arleigh Burke-class destroyers USS Bulkeley (DDG-84), USS Mason (DDG-87) and Ticonderoga-class cruisers USS Gettysburg (CG-64), USS San Jacinto (CG-56) — will relieve the Nimitz Carrier Strike Group (CSG), which is currently in the Navy’s Middle East-based 5th Fleet area of operations. Read More